• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

GPS System recommendations?

New posts

Paula

Beach Fanatic
I'm going to be getting a GPS system and would love to hear recommendations about brands, as well as features. I am not brilliant with directions (for example, I'd rather directions say turn right/left rather than turn east/west...). I also like voice commands (perhaps a nice handsome voice with a little Italian or French accent) and advance notice of turns. What else should I be thinking about and what brands/problems/features should I avoid? I drive an old minivan so the Italian/French accented voice needs to be nonjudgmental.
 
I have used Tom-Tom, Garmin and Magellan in the past.

The Tom-Tom is good and has a reasonable price.
I didn't like the Magellan because it isn't nearly as user friendly as the others.

I have a Garmin 330C. It is a couple of years old now and works great! Extremely user friendly with a touch screen. I fly a lot on business and take it with me everywhere. Very few issues. The only issues I may have is when there is very new detours due to construction. Sometimes it doesn't pick up on it....but rarely.
 
I have a Garmin 330C. It is a couple of years old now and works great! Extremely user friendly with a touch screen. I fly a lot on business and take it with me everywhere. Very few issues. The only issues I may have is when there is very new detours due to construction. Sometimes it doesn't pick up on it....but rarely.
I agree about the Garmin. We just bought one this year and it is amazing. It has the text to voice feature and it does literally tell you, "turn left here" or "turn right at the 2nd light." Pretty good price too.
 
Check out Amazon. I like something like the Garmin 350 it tells you actual strreet names as you approach. It just makes you feel more secure.
 
Paula, we have a friend who's a pilot, and when he's on the ground, I know he uses a Garmin, though I don't know which model. I can find out if you want specifics.
P.S. Your last sentence is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.
 
Paula, we have a friend who's a pilot, and when he's on the ground, I know he uses a Garmin, though I don't know which model. I can find out if you want specifics.
P.S. Your last sentence is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

I agree...too funny.:biggrin:
 
Here's what hubby who is in Germany says:
TomTom is the biggest in Europe, and I am satisfied with mine (after all, it was free using American Express points).

In Europe I rent Mercedes with OEM units and also have my TomTom with me (even if you ask for a car with GPS, you can't be assured that you'll get one). The TomTom performed better, although keep in mind that rental car GPS is usually not the best GPS, even if it is in a Mercedes.

After having an early version of the Garmin, I think I were to buy one, I'd buy the Garmin.
 
Thanks for all the useful information. Glad you appreciated my concerns, even when listening to an automated voice. If I'm going to be listening to someone give me directions in the car, it has to be a pleasant experience. After all, at some point I'll listen to this voice give me directions all the way from Michigan to SoWal...
 
I'm going to be getting a GPS system and would love to hear recommendations about brands, as well as features. I am not brilliant with directions (for example, I'd rather directions say turn right/left rather than turn east/west...). I also like voice commands (perhaps a nice handsome voice with a little Italian or French accent) and advance notice of turns. What else should I be thinking about and what brands/problems/features should I avoid? I drive an old minivan so the Italian/French accented voice needs to be nonjudgmental.


Paula,
I really stink with directions too, but I will tell you when I used a GPS on a visit to SoWal without my husband I ended up in Opp and I couldn't find my way out. It was awful and embarassing. I came alone at Christmas and without a GPS and did much better.
The problem was the GPS had taken me a slightly different route and things began to look unfamiliar and I got confused by thinking...this isn't the right way. It ended up adding an hour to my trip and ridicule from the 3 teens with me who had been sleeping.:idontno:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top