• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Grayton Beach Drowning

New posts
I know the TDC is all about making everything warm and sunny with cheery smiles. Look at Seamore the Beach Flag Crab. I guess I see him educating the kids. Since usually, it is the adults whom drown, maybe we need something like the black flag to educate the adults.

After numerous drownings in the area over the last few years, I suggested that rather than flying the second red flag with the icon of the no swimming for Closed Water, that second flag should have an icon of a man freaking out and sinking -- either that or a black flag with skull and crossbones (POISON symbol)

Some days around here, it is death beach. I can think of nothing better than national news promoting our flag warning system. Then news stories might be something along these lines, "in the past, they had multiple drownings in a single day, now with the new black flag of mouring, they have decreased the number of drownings on the days when the waters are really fierce with strong rip currents."... I would rather see more people not going in the water on these days, especially when other people have drowned only a few miles away, and this will keep if from becoming death beach. If you saw a black flag being raised on the beach, wouldn't you be questioning what is up with that, and think twice about going into the water on that day. Don't think it didn't make the national news when we had about 15 drownings and even more rescues in one day in Walton and Okaloosa Counties, back around 2005. Maybe flying a black flag prevents 14 of the drownings and in turn, prevents the death beach from becoming death beach. If you are not being proactive in today's world, you are following behind.



Again, I agree with you all around, but if they don't see 2 red flags would a black one get their attention any more? It would to those who see the flags a lot, but to those who are only here 1 week a year? Who knows? It would be worth a shot though!

I do know one thing; when folks are able to get away and come down for their 1 or 2 weeks of vacation a year, come double red flag or high water they're going to get in some ocean time. I can't tell you the number of people last year I had to suggest it was a good idea to get out of the water as lightning was hitting. Nobody needs a flag to know lightning will kill you but there they are, swimming in a lightning storm.

To borrow a quote from Upton Sinclair which appears in An Inconvenient Truth, "You can't make a man understand something if their salary depends upon them not understanding it." Replace "salary" with "enjoyment" and it may hold relevence to our discussion.

I'm for whatever saves lives. Good discussion, unfortunate day.
 
Last edited:
Again, I agree with you all around, but if they don't see 2 red flags would a black one get their attention any more? It would to those who see the flags a lot, but to those who are only here 1 week a year? Who knows? It would be worth a shot though!

I do know one thing; when folks are able to get away and come down for their 1 or 2 weeks of vacation a year, come double red flag or high water they're going to get in some ocean time. I can't tell you the number of people last year I had to suggest it was a good idea to get out of the water as lightning was hitting. Nobody needs a flag to know lightning will kill you but there they are, swimming in a lightning storm.

To borrow a quote from Upton Sinclair which appears in An Inconvenient Truth, "You can't make a man understand something if their salary depends upon them not understanding it." Replace "salary" with "enjoyment" and it may hold relevence to our discussion.

I'm for whatever saves lives. Good discussion, unfortunate day.

Right as well!
 
What a tragic, sad story, my prayers go out to the family.
I hear you. Me too. I cannot come close to being able to put myself in the perspective of the kid who was with his dad when he drowned as the kid was able to make it back to shore. There will be some difficult years ahead for that young man.
 
I do know one thing; when folks are able to get away and come down for their 1 or 2 weeks of vacation a year, come double red flag or high water they're going to get in some ocean time. I can't tell you the number of people last year I had to suggest it was a good idea to get out of the water as lightning was hitting. Nobody needs a flag to know lightning will kill you but there they are, swimming in a lightning storm.

Exactly. I don't know how many times I've heard stories of the Sheriff's Department being out there with a bullhorn ordering people out of the water because of dangerous conditions, and then people turning around and going back in the water as soon as the deputy drives back away.

It's like this whole attitude of "I'm on vacation. Nothing bad could possibly happen to me while I'm on vacation." that carries over into other reckless behavior in other areas as well. If you look at the lists of area drowning deaths by hometown, it's extremely rare to see a local town on that list because the local sees the red flags, knows what that means, and comes back the next day, or the next Saturday.

Me, I'll swim in single red flag conditions if I feel like it's safe enough, but I'm also a better open water swimmer than 99.5% of the American public will ever be, and I understand how to get myself out of trouble if need be.
 
This is so sad. It seems to be one of those situations where there is no perfect answer. They will never be able to police the Gulf. People need to watch the flags and just because you see a surfer does not mean it is safe. We have a flotation device attached to our leg and experienced in the water. Society can not regulate everything. People have to pay attention! Five gallon buckets can be deadly too.
 
Not wearing a life jacket is just plain crazy. In my job I sadly have to investigate drownings and it's always so tragic and senseless because a simple life jacket would have saved a life in nearly every case. The new light weight auto-inflatable life jackets are so easy to wear, so light-weight and you can't even tell you have one one. They only inflate if you hit the water. No excuse for not wearing a life jacket.

Double dumb that anyone would go out on a red flag day.

How sad for the family:(
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is an extrememly sad story. This happens many times every year around Florida. I have to say that more regulation is not the answer though. People need to make more intelligent decisions. When they put out a red flag it means it's dangerous. People are given an obvious sign here and still decide to do as they see fit. I have no problem with that honestly. I think it's the same with enforcing a seatbelt law. I just don't think we need to put so many regulations on someone risking their own life.
Just another perspective.
 
rip-illustration.jpg
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top