• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Grayton Boundaries

New posts

bchmamas_fav

Beach Comber
For those of us who live in Grayton Beach, I pose a question. Does it not offend to hear that they are naming subdivisions in Blue Mountain the "Preserve at GRAYTON"!! I have grown up here for my entire life (16 years) with family that has been in the surrounding area for longer than I, I have seen Grayton's boundaries stretched to places far beyond what I thought was possible. I have come to accept that from 283 South and East to the first bridge is Grayton Beach(while some of it is State Park, its still Grayton)... and from 283 South and West to the first bridge(Little Redfish Lake? I am not sure)... NOT including Gulf Trace, because honestly...their closer to being "Grayton Beachers" rather than "Blue Mountainer's"... but they really aren't either. Am I correct in assuming that these are roughly the correct divisions? I just have a hard time understanding how they can call it "The Preserve" at Grayton when it is really in Blue Mountain!! Anyone others thoughts... or am I way off base in my thinking? I think its all that blue sign-age in the air that is getting me mad... do we have a cure for it yet(...besides chainsaws and shovels?)? Thanks for your imput!

BeachMama's (secret) Favorite!
 
For those of us who live in Grayton Beach, I pose a question. Does it not offend to hear that they are naming subdivisions in Blue Mountain the "Preserve at GRAYTON"!! I have grown up here for my entire life (16 years) with family that has been in the surrounding area for longer than I, I have seen Grayton's boundaries stretched to places far beyond what I thought was possible. I have come to accept that from 283 South and East to the first bridge is Grayton Beach(while some of it is State Park, its still Grayton)... and from 283 South and West to the first bridge(Little Redfish Lake? I am not sure)... NOT including Gulf Trace, because honestly...their closer to being "Grayton Beachers" rather than "Blue Mountainer's"... but they really aren't either. Am I correct in assuming that these are roughly the correct divisions? I just have a hard time understanding how they can call it "The Preserve" at Grayton when it is really in Blue Mountain!! Anyone others thoughts... or am I way off base in my thinking? I think its all that blue sign-age in the air that is getting me mad... do we have a cure for it yet(...besides chainsaws and shovels?)? Thanks for your imput!

BeachMama's (secret) Favorite!
You are very right and smart! They are just cashing in on the more historic and well known Grayton name.
 
I wonder if people drive through "Grayton Bayou" looking for the red Bar or Hibiscus House? "Grayton Preserve" is on a sign. Grayton Beach is in the heart.
 
Well said, Kurt. And, what's with that Big Blue Sign near Goatfeathers that says "Welcome to Santa Rosa Beach"....:idontno:
 
Grayton isn't a copyright or trademarked term. You can call anything whatever you want. Personally I've never confused the state side versions of Rome, Paris, Moscow, or any other famous city for the original.

The community of prominence is only prominant as an eye sore thus far. To paraphrase Kurt, it's not the name, but the substance.
 
For Grayton beach residents, there's old Grayton and new Grayton and that's the boundaries of acceptable Grayton. I live in spitting distance of Grayton in Lakeplace, and just refer to it as the Grayton suburbs.
 
I am no more offended by the Preserve at Grayton not being in Grayton, than I am in it not being a Preserve. I see numerous subdivisions named after the trees which they remove. Do you think that the owners in WaterSound Beach like that Prominence is located in WaterSound Beach, according to the TDC signs?

According to Walton County Code, Sec. 9-137. Definitions :
"Grayton Beach is the area represented by the following boundaries: County Road 30-A to the North, the Gulf of Mexico to the South, Grayton Dunes State Park to the west, and Grayton Beach State Recreation Area and Western lake to the east."
 
"The Preserve at Grayton" was one of the areas I nosed around in while looking for a house last year. I too wondered about the naming choice; so I looked at a few maps to see if it was included in the state park of the same name since it was obviously not in the town of the same name. I may be over-simplifying the rationale and giving too much credit to the originator of the name... but , when viewed on a map it does appear to be a private property area "preserved" OUT of Grayton Beach State Park. It's definitely an uncommon twist on the use of "preserve" but I guess I can see where they COULD have derived the name since it's bordered by the state park on almost all sides.

notice the top left corner of the map:

http://www.floridastateparks.org/graytonbeach/docs/graytonbeachSPmap.pdf
 
Last edited:
"The Preserve at Grayton" was one of the areas I nosed around in while looking for a house last year. I too wondered about the naming choice; so I looked at a few maps to see if it was included in the state park of the same name since it was obviously not in the town of the same name. I may be over-simplifying the rationale and giving too much credit to the originator of the name... but , when viewed on a map it does appear to be a private property area "preserved" OUT of Grayton Beach State Park. It's definitely an uncommon twist on the use of "preserve" but I guess I can see where they COULD have derived the name since it's bordered by the state park on almost all sides.

notice the top left corner of the map:

http://www.floridastateparks.org/graytonbeach/docs/graytonbeachSPmap.pdf

I would say it is a marketing gimmick. i.e. Person lives out of town and has always wanted to own in Grayton, googles Grayton and comes across this. Purchases without seeing location. Stupid, but it does happen.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top