• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Great Southern Cafe

New posts

DCollins

Beach Lover
What was Great Southern originally? I know Shades forever and it was awesome but what before that? We are having a family discussion!
 
What was Great Southern originally? I know Shades forever and it was awesome but what before that? We are having a family discussion!

we started coming to seaside in the summer of 1989 - it was shades at that time, and the backs of the menus explained that the building was old and had been moved to seaside from another location. we never heard about it being something else at the seaside location other than shades.
 
I've racked my brain and cannot think of another restaurant name at that location. This old house was moved from Apalachicola (which, most likely, makes it the oldest house in Seaside) and it was a private residence in Seaside before becoming a restaurant.
 
Okay thats kinda what we thought although someone mentioned "rose cottage" or rose cafe but we have been coming to seaside since 1985 and Shades is all we could remember as well! Thanks!
 
Pretty sure it started as Shades. My old roommate is one of the owners. I've never known Basmati's to have been anywhere else, and I live right down the street from it...
 
Pretty sure it started as Shades. My old roommate is one of the owners. I've never known Basmati's to have been anywhere else, and I live right down the street from it...

basmati's used to be in seaside, sort of where the motor court is now located.
 
What was Great Southern originally? I know Shades forever and it was awesome but what before that? We are having a family discussion!
Just now seeing your post. It was the Rose Cafe, a takeoff of the Camelia Grill in N.O. My ex was a cook there. I’ve worked at Seaside for 45 years, so I know this for a fact. It was co-owned by two Seaside owners. They sold and it became Shades.
 
Just now seeing your post. It was the Rose Cafe, a takeoff of the Camelia Grill in N.O. My ex was a cook there. I’ve worked at Seaside for 45 years, so I know this for a fact. It was co-owned by two Seaside owners. They sold and it became Shades.
Please keep posting! We need to keep South Walton history alive.
 
Just now seeing your post. It was the Rose Cafe, a takeoff of the Camelia Grill in N.O. My ex was a cook there. I’ve worked at Seaside for 45 years, so I know this for a fact. It was co-owned by two Seaside owners. They sold and it became Shades.
Dang, my brain should have remembered that. All I have is a dusty memory of the original owner, someone called Deborah, tending her garden in the front yard, well before the pavers were installed.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top