• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Grocery query - cheap meat

New posts
I don't know about the Freeport location but Kelley's in Niceville... I'll never buy steak from them again. Two different occasions last summer we purchased Ribeyes on sale. Both times the meat was utterly tasteless. I'm not accustomed to having to marinade a Ribeye, I'm used to that cut providing it's own flavor... so needless to say that even though we got the steaks on sale, it was a loss. Last thing I want to do is drown a steak in a sauce to get some flavor.
 
I hate to break it to you but "Black Angus" just means a cow/bull that is at least 51% black. The original "Black Angus" designation required cattle ranchers to document that the cow/bull was from the Angus breed. The USDA allows the "Black Angus" designation on any cow/bull that is predominantly black Angus. How do you tell without a DNA test? You can't. They are too expensive so the visual test is allowed. To ensure a tender, flavorful piece of meat, look for marbling. Buy prime or choice grades. Don't worry so much about the Black Angus designation because it can easily still be tough and bland. You take the chance of getting meat from one of those 51% animals. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of legitimate ranchers out there that breed 100% black Angus cattle. But you're not going to get that at one of the mass retailers like Publix or Wal-Mart.
 
I don't know about the Freeport location but Kelley's in Niceville... I'll never buy steak from them again. Two different occasions last summer we purchased Ribeyes on sale. Both times the meat was utterly tasteless. I'm not accustomed to having to marinade a Ribeye, I'm used to that cut providing it's own flavor... so needless to say that even though we got the steaks on sale, it was a loss. Last thing I want to do is drown a steak in a sauce to get some flavor.
Flavor/age are always a concern when I'm buying meat, but the steak I had last night from the Freeport Kelly's was good. I also got some ribeyes, so I'll have to try those too.
 
After eating Prime grade steaks, I don't purchase anything else. Choice might have a bit of flavor, but if buying Select, you might as well break out the A1 sauce, and I don't like A1. Does Kelly's even sell Choice, or is it all Select?
 
I'm typing this with BBQ sauce all over my face- went to Carousel in PCB yesterday. They had "extra meaty" babybacks- they are more like pork chops hooked together. $8.99 a rack- bought 2 racks, and I swear they will feed us all week long. They are so meaty that I am stuffed after eating just 2!

And man oh man are they GOOD!:biggrin:

They also carry Crema, so I can make Punzy's green chile dip.:clap:

AND- all my fave wines are cheaper by a couple bucks/bottle!:cool:
 
I'm typing this with BBQ sauce all over my face- went to Carousel in PCB yesterday. They had "extra meaty" babybacks- they are more like pork chops hooked together. $8.99 a rack- bought 2 racks, and I swear they will feed us all week long. They are so meaty that I am stuffed after eating just 2!

And man oh man are they GOOD!:biggrin:

They also carry Crema, so I can make Punzy's green chile dip.:clap:

AND- all my fave wines are cheaper by a couple bucks/bottle!:cool:

You hit the jackpot!! :clap:
 
On front beach just East of Celedon and Splash.....great meat, wine, gifts, beer, etc.....
 
Does anyone have a good local source/been comparison shopping for meat? I don't mind paying extra for the convenience of the 395 or Sandestin Publix, but the recent price hike (basically DOUBLED) is where I draw the line.

I know summer is coming, but seriously! The lamb chops I got out of my freezer for dinner (purchased 4/18 and broiled instead of grilled so I didn't start any fires) were cheaper than the "stew" meat I saw friday and half the current price of sirloin! It is now cheaper to go to a restaurant and order a Ny strip than to buy it raw at Publix!

I've been trying to figure it out, it's not a beef/ethanol/corn issue as all meat has skyrocketed, and it appears to be a local phenomenon. My father (a retired meat packer) has no explanation either (beyond his usual commentary on inflated prices in the area) and he is usually one of the first to hear of major pricing changes etc.

I had a friend on her cell read me the prices at Bruno's and they were comparable to the Publix prices - haven't checked out other stores yet.

Any suggestions for me that don't involve Wal-mart (a.k.a. the anti-christ), vegetarianism, or a chest freezer/meat pilgrimages?

Being a super shopper..I would reccommend The Fresh Market's meats. You pay about the same as you would at Publix..but are getting the choice of cut you'd prefer.
There meats are wonderful & delicious.
The carousel has cheap meat but you'd be better off buying it at Wal-mart. Not that great.
 
Last edited:
Flavor/age are always a concern when I'm buying meat, but the steak I had last night from the Freeport Kelly's was good. I also got some ribeyes, so I'll have to try those too.

be weary of Kelly's. Not the best place to shop. Overpriced & most time out of date...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top