• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Having problems with Lenders...Question!!!

New posts

chrissy30004

Beach Comber
My husband and I are in the process of trying to buy a lot in Point Washington (the woods).
His income is steady and consistant, and his credit score is almost perfect! We have never been late on any mortgage!
Here is the problem...He works for a window and door company and pretty much started his own company selling for them. We have not found a lender anywhere that will give us a loan until he has had the company for 2 years. This has been terrible news and I just keep thinking there has to be some way. Has anyone else dealt with this problem and if so, do you know of anyway to get around this?
Thanks!
 
My husband and I are in the process of trying to buy a lot in Point Washington (the woods).
His income is steady and consistant, and his credit score is almost perfect! We have never been late on any mortgage!
Here is the problem...He works for a window and door company and pretty much started his own company selling for them. We have not found a lender anywhere that will give us a loan until he has had the company for 2 years. This has been terrible news and I just keep thinking there has to be some way. Has anyone else dealt with this problem and if so, do you know of anyway to get around this?
Thanks!

What are you telling them your lot is for? Is it an investment or is there a chance that you've gotta borrow more to build a new house.

I suspect this is pretty much what is going to be normal for the time being.

You can get around it by paying cash.

.
 
Last edited:
I am pretty sure he told them it was to build on...I can even see coming up with 1/2 the amount some how or another, but not the entire amount. YOu would think with the market as bad as it is, they would maybe throw us a bone. What a nightmare!!
 
YOu would think with the market as bad as it is, they would maybe throw us a bone. What a nightmare!!

....they threw too many bones in the previous years--that's why the market is as bad as it is now.

I also think they may be having a problem not only with the fact that your husband's business is new...but also that is a "window and door" company.

Do you own a home in Gulf Breeze and have to sell that too before you move? If not, can't you just move into a rental in the area?

Maybe you can find a desperate lot owner that is willing to self-finance.



.


.
 
Last edited:
Two years self employment has always been the norm as per underwriting guidelines. The income used is derived from an average of the past 2 years for any self employed Borrower. However, I've had Borrowers who worked for Companies in the past as W2 wage earners, then became 1099 contractors for same/other companies and apply with less than 2 years and get approved. The key was consistent employment in the SAME industry and type of profession. I provided copies of cancelled checks evidencing all income for at least the past 3-4 months, copies of the last tax return and YTD P&L. But getting a loan through with less than 1 year s/e income is next to impossible. If your husband just started self employment there is no way of judging the adjusted gross income he will eventually wind up paying taxes on. Secondly, the building industry is having a downturn, and how is an underwriter to know if he was laid off and turned to s/e for that reason. Lastly, lot loans are higher risk loans and the terms and underwriting criteria are more stringent than a single family residence.
If your husband meets some of the criteria I described above, you might have a better shot purchasing from a builder or an already built home depending on the downpayment, and sale/contract of sale of current residence.
Shelly's suggestions are also sound considerations especially if you have another home to sell.
 
Last edited:
If the lender gets a credit score north of 780, employment in the same field for past two years (not necessarily same job), verified assets for down payment and assets for reserves - income may not be an issue.

Good lenders will run this through the loan package "Desktop Underwriter" and be given an approval with waivers for documents for items like W-2s, pay stubs, etc.

While stated income loans are more rare, banks are getting them done. Call Bank of America - they're trying to steak share as everyone else retrenches.
 
Desktop underwriter is not used on lot loans. The agencies do not purchase them. If you run a solid credit loan through the agencies for a house, you'll get an approve response, but waivers will only go so far as the underwriter and how much waiver ability they have with either Freddie or Fannie when you've been self employed for <2 yrs. It becomes a judgement call and some u/wers are not willing to stretch that far, especially now. Believe it or not, Banks like Wells Fargo are still offering stated income loans, but not on lot loans that I am aware of. Even stated income programs want 2 yrs or more self employment.
Try Sovereign Bank. Worth giving them a call.
They offer land lot loans.
 
Last edited:
Mango, correct me if I am wrong, with real comps (not that they exist there) couldn't you still get a stated income loan with 50 percent down on damn near any piece of property ... house or not?
 
Last edited:
Mango, correct me if I am wrong, but with real comps ( not that they exist there ) couldn't you still get a stated income loan with 50 percent down on damn near any piece of property house or not?

Yes, some Banks/Commercial Lenders still have No Doc loans which is different than a stated income loan but you pay through the nose for it and must have impeccable credit. Stated income loans, you still have to list your employment, but not income and the rule is s/e >=2 yrs. No Doc you do not complete anything for employment or income on a loan application. With 50% down, even in a declining market, it's still a relatively low risk loan in my opinion and I am conservative.

I see Suntrust still offers NO DOC. I am not sure they will do it on a lot loan. I do not offer loans in FL, and Suntrust does not offer in the N.E., so I am not familiar with their programs.​
I think Shelly would call No Docs liar loans, but like I said I am conservative and have never had a loan default on payments, ever.
If someone came to me with in this predicament, they had impeccable credit, a past timely mortgage, needed to move, and showed me a contract of sale for their current home, I would feel comfortable with offering this type of loan if I didn't feel I could get it through traditionally.

Unfortunately in the past, these loan types and LTV's were too high and they were abused, hence the mortgage meltdown we are experiencing.
 
Last edited:
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top