Affordable housing is in great need here. There was good news in the paper this morning about 400 acres and 1800 affordable houses to be built.
I expect all of you experts to put together a group to build some of these houses using all of your previously stated good ideas.
The more government gets involved the more unaffordable housing will get for the middle class... Markets will take care of affordibility if people just let supply and demand run its course...
I hope that someone can help me understand why we continue to see entry level homes being built with granite counter-tops and nice solid hardwood flooring. Am I just stupid, or does that not add up to common sense? It is all people can do to afford an entry level home in many cases, so why the hell would they expect to get granite counter tops and nice flooring, and have to pay for it over thirty years? Call me crazy, but that, IMO, is just plain crazy.
I would tell them to highlight the price.Just curious ... if you had a seller that wanted to highlight in their listing the brand new Formica counters and linoleum flooring, what would you tell them?
Well, here, they have no little choice, because that is the only option. It is either, buy a house, or not.I can help...because people buy them.
For reference as to why: see baby BMW's/Baby Audi's, etc.
I would tell them to highlight the price.
I don't know about that. Last Sept, the market had put on breaks quite a bit. Go back two years, and you might have seen the upgrades to granite, et al, but the prices for those homes were $150K -$175K, much more entry level prices and affordable to many more people. Today, those same homes are starting at $275K -- not quite the same ballgame.;-)... and that would be a good answer. Today. In this market.
But I suspect a year ago many a Realtor would have suggested that if the seller were to upgrade to granite and hardwood, they could ask another $100K+. Or, even more likely, the agent would have bought the Formica and linoleum ladden property themselves, installed granite and hardwood and flipped it a month later for $100K+ profit. Oh what a difference a year makes.
Having said that, I do believe there will be a plethera of sub-$250K properties on the market in the next year or so as pricing continues to correct back down toward 2002/03 levels ... Some of them might even come with granite countertops.