• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Home Owners Meetings

New posts

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
I was not sure where to put this so please place it where it belongs if I picked the wrong forum....:wave:

October seems to be a big homeowners meeting month. I had 3 just this past weekend where I serve on the board of directors for 2. :blink: I am writing this hoping that owners who have not had their meeting yet take this to heart.

  • The BOD for your condo/subdivision are there for you.
  • They work their best to try and make the community better for your enjoyment and theirs.
  • Any owner, at any time, is able to attend board meetings unless it is an executive session.
  • you can write a letter addressing the BOD with any questions you may have. They, by law, have to respond to you within (I belive) 30 days.
  • Alot of work is put in and they do it for NOTHING
The reason I am writing this is that 2 of the 3 meetings I attended this meeting had me trembling when I left. People who don't seem to care one iota about their community take it upon themselves for ONE day to "yell" at the BOD as if they are the enemy. We had one board member quit today b/c he is almost 65 and he "does not need the aggravation". He was a valued person on our BOD and I am very very sad to see him go. I also heard 2 others wanted to quit as well.

WHy is it that people get so ugly at these meetings? I know the economy is bad and alot of people are behind in their HOA payments but is that a reason to attack the BOD? NO! you should all work together to come up with a good resolution.

If you have not had your annual homeowners meeting yet please remember to go to your board members and thank them, for it is a thankless job. :wave:
 
When I took my CAM liscense class the instructor suggested a large hardbound copy of Roberts Rules of Order. It was a lot heavier when you whacked someone over the head with it.
 
At least you can get the owners to show up. I serve on the board for my neighborhood and we did not have a quorum for our annual meeting. Now we have to reschedule.
 
I've been on several boards and it's a terrible, thankless job. It's even worse if the individual board members can't agree.

I think that the economy is making most people very nervious and they would like to blame someone else for their marginal (at best) real estate investment.

Remember, the complainers couldn't handle the work that you do and if it were not for people like you our developments would fall apart.

Thanks so much for your help.:clap:
 
I was not sure where to put this so Kurt please place it where it belongs if I picked the wrong forum....:wave:

October seems to be a big homeowners meeting month. I had 3 just this past weekend where I serve on the board of directors for 2. :blink: I am writing this hoping that owners who have not had their meeting yet take this to heart.

  • The BOD for your condo/subdivision are there for you.
  • They work their best to try and make the community better for your enjoyment and theirs.
  • Any owner, at any time, is able to attend board meetings unless it is an executive session.
  • you can write a letter addressing the BOD with any questions you may have. They, by law, have to respond to you within (I belive) 30 days.
  • Alot of work is put in and they do it for NOTHING
The reason I am writing this is that 2 of the 3 meetings I attended this meeting had me trembling when I left. People who don't seem to care one iota about their community take it upon themselves for ONE day to "yell" at the BOD as if they are the enemy. We had one board member quit today b/c he is almost 65 and he "does not need the aggravation". He was a valued person on our BOD and I am very very sad to see him go. I also heard 2 others wanted to quit as well.

WHy is it that people get so ugly at these meetings? I know the economy is bad and alot of people are behind in their HOA payments but is that a reason to attack the BOD? NO! you should all work together to come up with a good resolution.

If you have not had your annual homeowners meeting yet please remember to go to your board members and thank them, for it is a thankless job. :wave:

I've been the President of 2 HOA BOD's and I agree that it is a thankless job. Making decisions that are highly technical and can have legal consequences affecting whole sub-divisions can be stressful. Nonetheless, if you are chosen to lead you should do your best to be humble and act correctly.

Similarly, I know to many who gain these seats for business advantage and go out of their way to abuse the privelege to serve. Florida's Statute's are clear on the laws governing HOA's processes. Abusing same will most definately catch up with the deceitful.
 
At least you can get the owners to show up. I serve on the board for my neighborhood and we did not have a quorum for our annual meeting. Now we have to reschedule.

Actually I don't believe that you do unless maybe for an election? :idontno: For 2 years straight we have been short one proxy and then this year short 4 proxies. :bang: We just had a talking (really yelling) match. :roll: I, as President, decided that we were NOT going to reschedule b/c nobody cared in the first place. Again if you are voting for a budget and/or new BOD members then you may HAVE to....
 
Similarly, I know to many who gain these seats for business advantage and go out of their way to abuse the privelege to serve. Florida's Statute's are clear on the laws governing HOA's processes. Abusing same will most definately catch up with the deceitful.
I am sure that goes on in some HOA's. THankfully the ones that I serve on I have never seen it, at all...
 
I hate sitting through those meetings..yea, the entrance gate is broken again , we hate the job the landscaper is doing, and we need to invest in a new pool pump again. Yada..yada..Oh brother!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top