• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Homestead Status?

New posts

crobbins

Beach Comber
I lived in Atlanta and have owned a house in SoWal for 3 years but just got a letter suggesting that my property may not be in a 'Homestead' status, thus limiting my ability to get insurance through Citizens. I've called my insurance company but haven't heard back yet -- does anyone know if this is just something administrative or could it be an issue? I've reviewed the conditions under which you gain Homestead status and none of them seem to fit a rental house owned by someone outside of Florida. I'm sure there's something I'm missing -- anyone know off the top of your head?
Thanks!
 
As of March 2007 Citizen's will only be insuring primary residences that are homesteaded. Because you live out of state you cannot homestead your Sowal property and will no longer qualify for Citizen's Insurance (in most cases).

Citizens insurance to drop some properties

The state-run insurer will be verifying the homestead status of its policies because it will soon no longer cover second homes and most investment properties.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/15832967.htm
 
Oh boy. Thanks.
 
I, too, live in a suburb of Atlanta and receieved the same notice from Citizens last week. I called them and the agent I spoke with said they are reviewing all of their policies to determine the validity of the homestead status they currently have on record. She said that they would be getting back with all of those who are no longer insurable by Citizens and indicated there would be some type of referral to another agency which will insure second homes. There are too many second home owners to exclude them from insurability, however, the premium will most likely increase quite a bit. At our annual homeowner's meeting in October they said the premium for the condo association would probably increase 500%.

It's a trade off and has to be weighed against the desire to live a the coast. We were down last week. There's nothing like 30-A!! We love it. We may have to sacrifice in other areas, but want to stay connected to that piece of paradise.

Best wishes!
 
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, we may see more people "moving" to Florida to claim Homestead exemption and be able to buy home insurance.
 
I guess the article says you will be able to get insurance if you can't find it anywhere else for a 25% uplift........guess I'll be paying $10,000 in insurance on my house soon!
 
Here is the Citizens link:
http://www.citizensfla.com/agent_portal/technical_b/pdf/ATB025-06/Homestead_faq.pdf

I spoke to my agent concerning this and the agent indicated they will be shopping the policy to other insurers as required by Citizens. Since no insurer will insure beach property the policty will then go back to Citizens who will insure it as the insurer of last resort. Depending on "deficits" these non homestead properties are elgible for a 10% surcharge.

Marty
 
I also live in metro Atlanta and received the same notice. I believe it said something about coverage would likely be higher for non-homestead, and of course, we wouldn't qualify for homestead on the FL house either. Apparently they are going to make it higher premiums to get coverage if it's not your residence, and possibly even harder to get the coverage. I'm guessing that it would probably be really hard to get it, in the future, if high claims have been paid. Thanks for all the feedback from various agents' comments, etc., to help us understand what this really means, i.e. between the lines.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top