• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Hotel half way?

New posts

OSR

Beach Comber
I recently requested info on getting from Dallas to Grayton. I received some great answers. The route we are going to take is...

Here is the official fastest route. I-20 to Shreveport. I-49 from Shreveport to Opelousas. Take Hwy 190 from Opelousas to Port Allen, Louisiana and catch I-10 in Port Allen(taking Hwy 190 instead of going all the way to Lafayette to catch I-10 saves you about 30 minutes, but do NOT speed on 190 through the little towns, especially Krotz Springs). Once you get to Baton Rouge on I-10, take the I-12 east and bypass New Orleans. You will meet up with I-10 again in Slidell. Take I-10 to the Defuniak Springs exit, Hwy 331 in Walton County and head south. You will be in SOWAL! However, some folks are saying there is roadwork on 331 south;you can exit I-10 at Niceville (Exit 86 I think) and take the Mid Bay bridge to Destin and then go east to SOWAL. I used to live in Shreveport, so I promise you this is quicker than the Jackson, Miss. route (I have tried them both). Depending on where in the Metroplex you are coming from, get ready for a solid 9.5 to 10 hours in the car.

Question: if we were to stop about half way on this trip, are there any nice hotels? Clean being high on the importance scale!!!!

TIA, OSR
 
I recently requested info on getting from Dallas to Grayton. I received some great answers. The route we are going to take is...

Here is the official fastest route. I-20 to Shreveport. I-49 from Shreveport to Opelousas. Take Hwy 190 from Opelousas to Port Allen, Louisiana and catch I-10 in Port Allen(taking Hwy 190 instead of going all the way to Lafayette to catch I-10 saves you about 30 minutes, but do NOT speed on 190 through the little towns, especially Krotz Springs). Once you get to Baton Rouge on I-10, take the I-12 east and bypass New Orleans. You will meet up with I-10 again in Slidell. Take I-10 to the Defuniak Springs exit, Hwy 331 in Walton County and head south. You will be in SOWAL! However, some folks are saying there is roadwork on 331 south;you can exit I-10 at Niceville (Exit 86 I think) and take the Mid Bay bridge to Destin and then go east to SOWAL. I used to live in Shreveport, so I promise you this is quicker than the Jackson, Miss. route (I have tried them both). Depending on where in the Metroplex you are coming from, get ready for a solid 9.5 to 10 hours in the car.

Question: if we were to stop about half way on this trip, are there any nice hotels? Clean being high on the importance scale!!!!

TIA, OSR

I think your best bet would be Baton Rouge which is a little more than halfway. While I have not patronized any hotels there, I might speculate that the newer or nicer hotels would be on Corporate Blvd/College Drive or on Siegen Lane or Bluebonnet Lane, all of these are just off I-10. Avoid anything in west or north Baton Rouge. With that said, if you are staying on a weekend where there is an LSU home game, you might as well forget Baton Rouge and try your luck at one of the chains in Hammond, LA or Covington, LA (Hammond is 40 minutes east of BR on I-12 and Covington is 1 hour east of BR on I-12). I would not encourage a stop in Slidell or any of the hotels close to I-10 in Mississippi as they are still housing some hurricane refugees and no doubt have some major wear and tear. You could try Lafayette, LA, which is on the west side of BR, but I don't know much about the lodging. The only places between Shreveport and Lafayette are Natchitoches and Alexandria, which I would avoid because they are too close to Dallas and would make for a long drive to SOWAL.
 
We just stayed at the Best Western in Pascagoula, Miss. last weekend. It is not Hilton by far but was great for a interstate stop, clean, and had breakfast. We got the room for $55! (thursday night) It is Exit 69 and is just East of Biloxi.
 
You just described the -exact- route we take to So Wal every year.
I suggest the Homewood Inn and Suites on Corporate Boulevard just off of I-10 in Baton Rouge. It's a great hotel and in an area with lots of new restaurants and shopping, so you can almost always find somewhere to eat. Once, we went the Jackson route and couldn't find a restaurant other than Taco Bell...in downtown Jackson! :idontno:
 
:welcome: fjsoj....wow, this does seem to be the favored route! How can I get a map online showing this route? Yes, I am an idiot on the computer.
 
You can take I-10 the whole way and stay in a 4.5 or 5 star hotel in New Orleans for about $80, and have a nice dinner. New Orleans hotels are open and restored, and all but empty. If you go to hotwire.com and search for hotels in New Orleans, pick something 4+ stars in the Quarter or Downtown, you'll find a great hotel for quite a bargain.

A couple of weeks ago, I stayed at the Onmi Royal Orleans (the best with the possible exception of the Ritz-Carlton which doesn't have a rooftop pool) for $78.

Good luck!
 
:welcome: fjsoj....wow, this does seem to be the favored route! How can I get a map online showing this route? Yes, I am an idiot on the computer.

Miss Kitty, the only part of this route that is off the interstate is when you get on Hwy 190 in Opelousas. You can look online for maps, or if you are old fashioned, you can always stop at the Louisiana welcome station/rest area near Shreveport and get a Louisiana highway map.
 
Miss Kitty, the only part of this route that is off the interstate is when you get on Hwy 190 in Opelousas. You can look online for maps, or if you are old fashioned, you can always stop at the Louisiana welcome station/rest area near Shreveport and get a Louisiana highway map.

I found one. Thanks Skunky. If I get lost, I will call you. Never mind...I don't have your number!
 
I found one. Thanks Skunky. If I get lost, I will call you. Never mind...I don't have your number!

Miss Kitty, the little hwy that connects Hwy 190 to I-10 in Port Allen is Hwy 987, aka North Lobdell Hwy! When are you going to post your SOWAL schedule so I know when and where to find you holding court this weekend?;-)
 
Miss Kitty, the little hwy that connects Hwy 190 to I-10 in Port Allen is Hwy 987, aka North Lobdell Hwy! When are you going to post your SOWAL schedule so I know when and where to find you holding court this weekend?;-)

Any more tricks up your sleeve Skunky? I thought I saw something called Hwy. 1. I promise to let Mr. K study the map! :biggrin:

Jfunn and gttbm have my schedule, I am clueless.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top