• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Housing for Katrina victims

New posts

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Millions of people have had to evacuate areas in south Mississippi and New Orleans and won't be able to return to what's left of their homes for possibly weeks. New Orleans isn't accessible from the east at all and probably won't be for quite sometime - it's continuing to flood and power officials say that are literally going to have to start from scratch to rebuild their power grid. Millions will be homeless and won't be able to afford to rebuild. These aren't people with second homes.

As a community, we've been through hurricanes. For a time, we even thought that we might be going through this now instead of them. Anyone who has property that isn't occupied anywhere in Walton County - please post here with contact information. If not for free, for greatly reduced rates.

Newman-Dailey is contacting owners on its rental program. I'm going to contact Abbot, Rivard, etc and ask them to post contact information here as well since this is the best bulletin board in the area.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Re: Housing

This morning, due to continue rising water in the City, those people remaining in the City of New Orleans are being told to leave - so the situation is going to get worse before it gets better.
 
Re: Housing

WaltonUndercurrent said:
This morning, due to continue rising water in the City, those people remaining in the City of New Orleans are being told to leave - so the situation is going to get worse before it gets better.

I heard that as well. I know wishing does no good, but I do wish more citizens had heeded the call in LA and MS. It's also easy for me to say that sitting here in Dallas. The footage of that poor man on FOX that watched his wife float away has haunted me all morning. I assume many of us will have to check availability with our management companies.
 
Last edited:
Thank heavens I didn't see that! I've been so sad watching all the horrible sights. I'm in Valdosta GA, just wanting to do something, not just to send money. This is when I wish I was not a teacher and had the time and money to go and help. My heart and prayers go out to each and everyone that is effected by this storm. Next time I pray ALL will heed the warnings and LEAVE. People coming out of their roofs, I've just never seen anything like this and just don't know what to do. I just pray.
 
WaltonUndercurrent said:
Newman-Dailey is contacting owners on its rental program. I'm going to contact Abbot, Rivard, etc and ask them to post contact information here as well since this is the best bulletin board in the area.

Thanks


Jeanne Dailey (Newman Dailey) contacted us after Dennis. She asked us to put up a local family that had extensive damage to their home - She rented it for 1/3 our normal price and Newman-Dailey also cut their commission. My rent check didn't look to good - but it made my heart feel better.
 
We had planned on going to the consignment shops in Destin to see if we could make a few $$ from the furniture--sofa, table, chairs, etc--that we don't want as we remodel our little condo. Now that we know how many are homeless, it's going directly to Goodwill so it can be put to good use by people affected by Katrina's wrath.
 
Mermaid said:
We had planned on going to the consignment shops in Destin to see if we could make a few $$ from the furniture--sofa, table, chairs, etc--that we don't want as we remodel our little condo. Now that we know how many are homeless, it's going directly to Goodwill so it can be put to good use by people affected by Katrina's wrath.

:clap_1: And it will be so appreciated!
 
Mermaid said:
We had planned on going to the consignment shops in Destin to see if we could make a few $$ from the furniture--sofa, table, chairs, etc--that we don't want as we remodel our little condo. Now that we know how many are homeless, it's going directly to Goodwill so it can be put to good use by people affected by Katrina's wrath.

Fantastic idea! I've been doing some redecorating here and have been wondering how I could get old stuff over there later when things get better.
 
I just called Watercolor and spoke to Kevin our property manager. I asked if
we owners and St Joe can do something to help the people in New Orleans and he told me they were going to meet tomorrow to discuss options for long term rentals, lowered costs ectr....I will keep you postedl
 
Dreaming watercolor said:
I just called Watercolor and spoke to Kevin our property manager. I asked if
we owners and St Joe can do something to help the people in New Orleans and he told me they were going to meet tomorrow to discuss options for long term rentals, lowered costs ectr....I will keep you postedl

Thanks...I was just getting ready to email Jay Sien myself! I appreciate your news.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top