• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Hump back Whales

New posts
I thought their preferred route was from Hawaii to Cabos. :idontno:

Memorial Day Weekend. They're tourists.

(And I'm very jealous that I didn't see them!)
 
I thought their preferred route was from Hawaii to Cabos. :idontno:

The humpbacks in Alaska go to Hawaii. The humpbacks that come to the Stellwagon Bank, Provincetown MA, leave around October and go to the Caribbean, so they travel South via the Atlantic. It wouldn't be totally unusual to see them in the Gulf. They were most likely following a food source of small fish. They are also curious, especially the younger ones. I saw one come up to check me out in N.J. not far from the shore while I was boogie boarding. It takes them about 2-3 months both ways.
 
The humpbacks in Canada and northward go to Hawaii. The humpbacks that come to the Stellwagon Bank, Provincetown MA, leave around October and go to the Caribbean, so they travel South via the Atlantic. It takes them about 2 months.


Thanks Mangy!!! I certainly don't remember seeing them on the East Coast though when I was growing up. Do you see them in NY?
 
Thanks Mangy!!! I certainly don't remember seeing them on the East Coast though when I was growing up. Do you see them in NY?

They're have been spottings in N.Y, and CT, but their main food source is the Stellwagen Bank in MA. We go every year whale watching several times. I have my own sweater from the boat Portugese Princess that says Capt. Mango. :lol:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why do the whales come to Stellwagen Bank?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Stellwagen Bank serves as a sumptuous smorgasbord for marine mammals. Of particular importance is the wealth of sand lance (also known as sand eels) that burrow into the coarse sands of the bank. Schools of these fatty (calorie-rich) fish provide excellent nutrition for the whales (as well as larger fish and sea birds) that feed in these waters all summer.[/FONT]
 
I always saw them with their babies in Hawaii every winter- I love humpbacks!:wub:

Of course watching a group of males and 1 female whale is quite the show!:shock: Lots of splashing....
 
mango
do you see many right whales? they have been visiting the georgia coast, for a few years. i'll try to find some info.
 
mango
do you see many right whales? they have been visiting the georgia coast, for a few years. i'll try to find some info.

Only once, years ago, and it was with a calf. :wub:The baby came right up to the boat and they hung around us for about 30 minutes. It was truly unforgetable. They are on the endangered list. They don't know much about the right whale, especially it's breeding habits. They are rather elusive. I had no idea they were spotted around Ga. Pretty cool. :clap:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top