• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Humpback Wale off Eastern Lake

New posts

Roadroo

Beach Lover
Has any one spotted a Humpback wale off shore this week??
My wife and I where out on the kayak's Sunday morning (9-11 am) about a 1/2 mile directly out from Eastern Lake. We had honor off seeing a lone Humpback wale surface 3 times. What a humbling experience. He was around us for 5 minutes and then we did not see him again. I was curious if any one else witnessed him, or has spotted any others around. I have heard of a few sightings late last month off Grayton.

Also, has anyone have any info on the 2 wales that had washed up on the beach at Eastern lake a few weeks ago?? I really did not hear or see anything in the media.
 
Has any one spotted a Humpback wale off shore this week??
My wife and I where out on the kayak's Sunday morning (9-11 am) about a 1/2 mile directly out from Eastern Lake. We had honor off seeing a lone Humpback wale surface 3 times. What a humbling experience. He was around us for 5 minutes and then we did not see him again. I was curious if any one else witnessed him, or has spotted any others around. I have heard of a few sightings late last month off Grayton.

Also, has anyone have any info on the 2 wales that had washed up on the beach at Eastern lake a few weeks ago?? I really did not hear or see anything in the media.


Oooh I have envy.

The 2 pygmy sperm whales didn't make it.:(
 
Recent Wildlife at Sea Report:
Last night, Jeff told me that while he was paddling in Pt St Joe last week, he paddled over a 15' wide Manta Ray, with huge Cobia swimming above and below it. He also told me that this past Sunday at Grayton, a bunch of people had spotted what they thought was a dead sea turtle, which hadn't moved in over an hour. They were watching it through their binoculars. Jeff grabs some rope (to pull it back to shore and report it) and his surfboard and paddles out to investigate. He approached the turtle and suddenly, a big blood shot eye of the turtle opened, looking directly at him. He also notices a second turtle under this one which was now looking at him with an evil eye. Oops. He turned the board around and had a big embarrassed chuckle.

Also had another fellow tell me that there was a huge school of Cobia spotted off of Grayton this past week.

Glad you got the privilege of paddling with the creatures from the sea. I can go days without seeing anything, then suddenly, I see everything in one day. Paddling with whales, now that's cool.
 
Recent Wildlife at Sea Report:
Last night, Jeff told me that while he was paddling in Pt St Joe last week, he paddled over a 15' wide Manta Ray, with huge Cobia swimming above and below it. He also told me that this past Sunday at Grayton, a bunch of people had spotted what they thought was a dead sea turtle, which hadn't moved in over an hour. They were watching it through their binoculars. Jeff grabs some rope (to pull it back to shore and report it) and his surfboard and paddles out to investigate. He approached the turtle and suddenly, a big blood shot eye of the turtle opened, looking directly at him. He also notices a second turtle under this one which was now looking at him with an evil eye. Oops. He turned the board around and had a big embarrassed chuckle.

Also had another fellow tell me that there was a huge school of Cobia spotted off of Grayton this past week.

Glad you got the privilege of paddling with the creatures from the sea. I can go days without seeing anything, then suddenly, I see everything in one day. Paddling with whales, now that's cool.


Wow...for over an hour? He must have been really good!!!!!! ;-) I hope that means there will be some little sea turtles hatching soon!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:
 

Wow, I had no idea!

Recent Wildlife at Sea Report:
Last night, Jeff told me that while he was paddling in Pt St Joe last week, he paddled over a 15' wide Manta Ray, with huge Cobia swimming above and below it. He also told me that this past Sunday at Grayton, a bunch of people had spotted what they thought was a dead sea turtle, which hadn't moved in over an hour. They were watching it through their binoculars. Jeff grabs some rope (to pull it back to shore and report it) and his surfboard and paddles out to investigate. He approached the turtle and suddenly, a big blood shot eye of the turtle opened, looking directly at him. He also notices a second turtle under this one which was now looking at him with an evil eye. Oops. He turned the board around and had a big embarrassed chuckle.

Also had another fellow tell me that there was a huge school of Cobia spotted off of Grayton this past week.

Glad you got the privilege of paddling with the creatures from the sea. I can go days without seeing anything, then suddenly, I see everything in one day. Paddling with whales, now that's cool.

We also spotted a few Cobia at Deer lake 2 weeks ago Sunday. They where 5 feet from the waters edge and crusing the shore line. We where a bit freaked out at first, as they where following us in the water and we thought they where sharks. We have a good laugh about it now, but at the time my lovely wife had some very colorful expressions about them. There was a mom and calf, and it was not until they poped there head out of the water that we noticed they where Cobia. Amazing creatures!
We have had the privilege of seeing ocean creatures every time we go out. Every thing from flying fish, 4 foot sea turtles, sharks, dolphins and wales. Way to cool!!! I am reminded daily why we live here. Let me know when you want to head out for a paddle?
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top