• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Hurricane Evacuation problems

New posts

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Now that we just witnessed a Hurricane H (I didn't even have time to check the list of names) go from nothing to a Hurricane in a new record time, 18 hours, do you think the DOT should wake up and smell the beans (coffee) and get started on widening 331, including the Clyde Wells Bridge over the Choctawhatchee Bay?

A few storms ago, I forgot which one, we saw a new record time for a Tropical Storm going to a CAT 5.

How long does the current SoWal evacuation take? NASA, or should I say, "DOT," we have a problem!
 
Last edited:
I read in the St. Pete Times that they're going to start widening 79 this fall or winter, taking part of historic Vernon with it. The reason is an evacuation route. A lot of SoWal peeps on the east end could go this direction (heck, we use 79 all the time, but I know we are in the minority).

This is a funny read, btw. Really weird and interesting stuff. I'll never look at Vernon the same way again. :blink:

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/09/02/Life/Dismembered_again.shtml
 
For those of you who have evacuated from this area, how long does it take? It never occurred to me that there would be an issue because there are not that many people living here, and it seems like we have as many routes out as New Orleans. Granted, we only have 1/3 the number of lanes, but we have way less than 200,000 people living in SoWal.

So, your door to I-10 -- how long?
 
For those of you who have evacuated from this area, how long does it take? It never occurred to me that there would be an issue because there are not that many people living here, and it seems like we have as many routes out as New Orleans. Granted, we only have 1/3 the number of lanes, but we have way less than 200,000 people living in SoWal.

So, your door to I-10 -- how long?

You could benefit from the 79 widening, unless you decide to go west (but why would you, with a 'cane in the Gulf?). Just make sure to keep your hands and feet inside the car. :shock:
 
Seeing as how the Hurricane "H" grew from nothing to a Hurricane within only 18 hrs, we could all be toast since we generally think we have 3-4 days notice for evac. Currently, for most of us, there is only one way north that makes sense, and that is hwy 331, which is only one lane going north. I forget the number of hours it is reported to take, but I seem to recall hearing times of 3-5 hours to get from hwy98 in SoWal to hwy20 in Freeport.

The four-laning of hwy 79 has already begun and is almost complete to the West Bay Bridge. They should be finishing up the new four lane divided bridge over West Bay IntraCoastal Waterway, very soon.
 
I can't say how long it takes to get to I-10 because I avoid all major roads when evacuating.

My "scenic" route takes me 8 hours to reach my evacu-cation destination, normal driving time (on interstates) is 6-7 hours.
 
For those of you who have evacuated from this area, how long does it take? It never occurred to me that there would be an issue because there are not that many people living here, and it seems like we have as many routes out as New Orleans. Granted, we only have 1/3 the number of lanes, but we have way less than 200,000 people living in SoWal.

So, your door to I-10 -- how long?

Need to plan right and certainly avoid the heavily traveled routes (such as 331) - we evacuated for Dennis with friends who lived in Atlanta and they took us the back way via Route 79 (all I know is that we were tracking with friends who had taken 331 route and were stuck in bumber to bumber traffic for 4+ hours!
 
just remember how long it took peeps to get from SoWal to I-10 the weekend after 4th of July.....
 
For those of you who have evacuated from this area, how long does it take? It never occurred to me that there would be an issue because there are not that many people living here, and it seems like we have as many routes out as New Orleans. Granted, we only have 1/3 the number of lanes, but we have way less than 200,000 people living in SoWal.

So, your door to I-10 -- how long?

My mother tried to evacuate for Ivan. After sitting in traffic and realizing the storm was moving faster (21 mph) than she was and she hadnt made it from Hollywood BLVD to the Shalimar bridge in two hours- she went home to ride it out.

The evacution routes here are a joke
 
The problem is that no matter where you want to go here, there will only be one north-south road and at best two east-west roads that will get you to your destination.

When we bugged out to Jax for Dennis, we got onto 20 and stayed on 20 until Tallahassee where we finally hooked up to I-10. Had some slight traffic back-up near Bristol on the way out of town, and a bigger one north of PC on the way back home on that route, but we saved a lot of time overall by going the less obvious road.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top