• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Hurricane Irma

New posts
Wednesday morning will be 3/4 days out for some Florida beaches...get up,early and watch weather channel..kicker is where the Florida Hurricane watches are placed over night.
 
I'm not judging but I'm pretty sure I saw some post apocalyptic cannibal looking people at the gas station today when I was filling my tank.
 
Please understand that IRMA is almost 500 miles wide ....
Florida at it's widest is only around 250 miles and its length from the Keys to Jacksonville is only around 480 miles!
Stop asking/wondering "which side" it's going to hit... it doesn't matter! It's packing a PUNCH and it's not going to be a simple assault.

Also remember that when sustained winds are strong enough, 911 will NOT respond jeopardizing first responder lives. 150 MPH winds will blow their vehicles right off the road. If you are on oxygen and depend on electricity stock up on portable air tanks now. Don't wait because if you do they won't be able to get them to you.
..........

Getting gas today in Defuniak was a biotch..lines like crazy and some folks are so inconsiderate they took both gas lanes going in the same direction rather than one going each way. The lady in front of me from India, sat at the pumps after she had gotten gas talking on her cell phone with a line 5 deep behind me. I not so politely walked up to her car and asked her to get off her phone and move her vehicle.

NO WATER at Thriftway as of 2:30 this afternoon or at Wal Mart and Winn Dixie...crazy lines in all 3 stores as well. Never was so thankful just to get out of a parking lot. There is also a full moon...double whammy. No water in Crestview either but Wal Mart is saying they will have water at 7 AM....Winn Dixie says by 8 AM.
 
I think you need to look at the NOAA National Hurricane Center Website closely as we move into this weekend. It is as precise and as accurate as you can get. Hurricane Irma is not 500 miles wide. Hurricane strength winds are about 120 miles wide (roughly as wide as from Pensacola to Panama City) and tropical storm winds (39 mph) are as wide as from Pensacola to Tallahassee. It will impact most of the Florida Peninsula, but we really won't know until about Sunday evening if the panhandle will get much impact. We will still be two or three days from feeling any winds at that point. Again, look at the National Hurricane Center cone of uncertainty. That is not the width of the hurricane. The smaller brown circle is the width of the hurricane.

I think everybody should get a full tank of gas, no question about that, but try to use a little logic about buying water. Maybe a case of water is prudent. But you only need to stock up on lots of water, if you are planning to stay, and ride it out. If you are planning to ride it out, you are stupid. I would suggest spending your time collecting your valuables into very secure, safe places, backing up your photos and documents onto portable hard drives, to take with you, and stuff like that.

I am leaving at precisely 7:21am on Monday , so I want none of ya to leave at that same time. OK? Or was it Sunday...
 
So people are going to camp out in sleeping bags to get water at Walmart and Win Dixie is my takeaway.
 
I think you need to look at the NOAA National Hurricane Center Website closely as we move into this weekend. It is as precise and as accurate as you can get. Hurricane Irma is not 500 miles wide. Hurricane strength winds are about 120 miles wide (roughly as wide as from Pensacola to Panama City) and tropical storm winds (39 mph) are as wide as from Pensacola to Tallahassee. It will impact most of the Florida Peninsula, but we really won't know until about Sunday evening if the panhandle will get much impact. We will still be two or three days from feeling any winds at that point. Again, look at the National Hurricane Center cone of uncertainty. That is not the width of the hurricane. The smaller brown circle is the width of the hurricane.

I think everybody should get a full tank of gas, no question about that, but try to use a little logic about buying water. Maybe a case of water is prudent. But you only need to stock up on lots of water, if you are planning to stay, and ride it out. If you are planning to ride it out, you are stupid. I would suggest spending your time collecting your valuables into very secure, safe places, backing up your photos and documents onto portable hard drives, to take with you, and stuff like that.

I am leaving at precisely 7:21am on Monday , so I want none of ya to leave at that same time. OK? Or was it Sunday...

For water, all that was left was mandarin orange.
 
Although I am having a little fun with this storm, please be careful and take the warnings seriously!
And then there is this.
 

Attachments

  • FB_IMG_1504700541891.jpg
    FB_IMG_1504700541891.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 254
I am all boarded up except for 1 window and 2 doors just in case I don't get to return from my next shift. That is how serious I think this storm is.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top