• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Hurricane Isaac

New posts
Hey group. Thanks for the update. Looks like they have picked us and I hope that means they are wrong. Have they ever been correct on their pick 100%? If they are, when do you guys start boarding up windows or putting up your shutters? I just bought a home and they are in the basement, but it looks like they have never been used. No pegs. Not sure I should travel down to attempt to install. I have renters in place until Monday.
 
Hey group. Thanks for the update. Looks like they have picked us and I hope that means they are wrong. Have they ever been correct on their pick 100%? If they are, when do you guys start boarding up windows or putting up your shutters? I just bought a home and they are in the basement, but it looks like they have never been used. No pegs. Not sure I should travel down to attempt to install. I have renters in place until Monday.

Accuracy on the forecast is fairly good about 72hours out. Stating that, the models seem to be fairly consistent with a Northern Gulf landfall. A lot of things have to fall in place for Isaac to visit us within 100 miles each way. Regarding shuttering. IMO, I would wait till Monday at the earliest. Current project for our target area is next Wed. That gives you plenty of time without the worries of heavy winds/rain. Trust me it isn't fun to board up with high winds... I would recommend keeping a vigilant watch this weekend and if we are still in the tight track by Monday, start your preparations. Also, now is the time to plan any evacuation and your hurricane kit if you haven't already done so.....Remember to stock up on plenty of water and plan on little to no assistance in the first 72 hours...
 
There is a lot of time for this thing to move east or west of us. The good news is they are only predicting it to be a Cat 1 when it comes ashore.
 
There is a lot of time for this thing to move east or west of us. The good news is they are only predicting it to be a Cat 1 when it comes ashore.

I wouldn't put a lot of belief in that Cat 1 statement currently from NHC. They aren't the greatest at forecasting intensity. Pretty good at projected path though. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if that Cat 1 ends up much higher...
 
Just looked at 11 am nhc and its now shifted right over us. Last few days its been shifting west so its projected to hit wed so still a lot of time
 
I have reservations on Sept 5 for about 10 days and we are wondering if this storm hits as it's projected, what will the water be like at that time of Sept 5? Anyone have any past experiences or ideas? thanks a lot!!
 
Last edited:
I have reservations on Sept 5 for about 10 days and we are wondering if this storm hits as it's projected, what will the water be like at that time of Sept 5? Anyone have any past experiences or ideas? thanks a lot!!
We have driven down for the past 10 years after every storm to check on our house and my sister's houses. We always have a great time. So come on down!

If the storm hits in South Walton, we'll drive down as soon as we hear there are no closed roads or bridges and there's power.

From my experience the water might still be rough, so hope you have access to a pool.
 
We're flying in from St. Louis tomorrow morning...have reservations in Seagrove for 9 days. Where do tourists go if there is a mandatory evacuation? Should I make hotel reservations somewhere north for "plan B" or do the rental companies have contingency plans in place to move people? Thanks!
 
We're flying in from St. Louis tomorrow morning...have reservations in Seagrove for 9 days. Where do tourists go if there is a mandatory evacuation? Should I make hotel reservations somewhere north for "plan B" or do the rental companies have contingency plans in place to move people? Thanks!
Well, first of all you need to know that if there are sustained winds of 40 mph or over, the bridges close. There's no way to leave without crossing a bridge. If that's the case, rental companies will advise you to get out of dodge due to liability, and owners want you out of their rentals because they don't want to be liable. Each rental company has its own refund policy, so I'd check with them.

As far as plan B goes, ask what they'd suggest. If South Walton gets a hit, the question is how far north do you go? When Opal came through, it hit Georgia too. We have a Louisiana-style house in GA with functional hurricane shutters. WE NEEDED THEM.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top