• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Hurricane Katrina - III

New posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
ladybug8876 said:
I went to destincam.com to check out the waves, still looking pretty rough. Are there any webcams in sowal I don't know about. Thanks Kurt for always keeping us informed.

WaterColor Inn had webcams all over the place but now have only this picture.
bclub.jpg


It was a little bit too spy like for me anyway. Schooners, in PCB, has a web cam. google it.
 
jdarg said:
TWC just reported Katrina's winds now at 185 mph and pressure down to 90 mb. Camille was 909 at landfall. Kinda makes you shiver.

I think you mean 900mb. It was at 902 an hour ago.
 
Smiling JOe said:
Well, if you look at the house about 6 houses to the west of the one where they are placing sandbags, you will see what happens. Yesterday, this same crew placed sandbags at that home, adjacent and east to the public access on Hwy 83, and today, they are all gone. I have a picture of the few remaining which are scattered on the beach from that home, but I am having difficulty uploading my pics.

So, it appears that the sandbags are worthless (much like I think the geotubes are or will be) in helping to stop Mother Nature's wrath. All it looks like they will do is become more trash or worse while washed into the gulf and/or back up onto shore to be some elses problem. Mother Nature is very strong and those sand bags are not likely to do anything to stop the surge. I guess if you are gulf front and desperate to try and save your already eroded house/structure you might try anything?
 
Okay, you've answered my sandbag question (and I've looked up "geotubes" too, so I know what you're all talking about!).
 
wlaner said:
Beach Runner...your avatar is sadly appropriate for today and tomorrow.


Does anyone know if businesses will be closed tomorrow? Or what the county will advise?


The county offices and schools will be closed Monday. We are under a tropical storm warning with winds predicted to be up to 50mph. The 331 Bridge closes at 40 mph so travel to/from SoWal will be difficult on Monday.
 
Thanks for the pics & info!

Travel2Much & others - Thanks for filling us in on the NOLA situation. :(

Praying for all.
 
What is that on the beach in your picture that says,'remains from yesterday'.
 
Mermaid said:
It's one of the sandbags.

Yes, actually it is two sandbags remaining from 100+ sandbags placed yesterday. Also, part of a brick wall and a few pavers are in the photo.


Here is a satellite photo of Katrina taken around noon today.
109660.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top