• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Hurricane Shutters

New posts

Rita

margarita brocolia
We're starting to research permanent hurricane shutters for our 2-story Florida cottage style home and would appreciate any input from those of you who have experience and/or knowledge.

One specific question I have is - Do the "Bahama Shutters" ("Key West Shutters") block out too much light :?: and do they work well in hurricanes :?:
 
The Bahamas block out a good bit of light - sometimes desireable. You might want a combination of Bahama and hinged, depending on where on the house they are.

Either type can be hurricane rated if built and installed properly. Most are not.
 
My wife has spent quite sometime trying to get shutters installed on the back porch of our Watercolor cottage, but the arrival of Ivan made availability hard to come by. Who provides quality product, a wide range of type, both movabable and non, good installation and at a fair price.
 
If you're looking for wood shutters, try Mark Moody with Coastal Millwork Services.He's out of the Atlanta area...but works in the Panhandle area. 850 699-2671. We were very pleased with the product and service.
 
My wife spoke with Mark today, she said he was very nice, but go figure, we're from Atlanta, she's at the beach, and he's here in Atlanta, where I am ,still working, until Thurs when I get to "go to the beach".
Mark will be back down next week.
 
I noticed a "Hurricane Shutters" banner on one of the commercial buildings on the south side of Hwy 98 today...somewhere between the west end of 30-A and 395...I'm thinking it wasn't too far past the DoNut Hole.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top