Bad virus. Rootkit. Turns off anti-virus software protection. Need someone with experience and tools to get rid of it. Can anyone help?
You probably have malware, not a virus, but it will still make you want to throw away your computer and start over. You can get rid of it if you have another computer to download some free software to like Malware bytes. You have to restart in safe mode, and maybe rename the Malware bytes files, so that the malware doesn't recognize the name of the protection software. Then, you just run a scan and quarantine. Dont make the mistake of trying to delete the problems, because that may open a new can of worms!
If you aren't tech savvy at all, you should just call someone to do that stuff for you.
AVG looks for viruses, and Malware Bytes looks for malware. I use both on my pc. You don't want to use more than one virus protection and one malware protection.
Note that the free versions of each won't catch it until after the fact, and that's IF you have set up auto scans daily (or nightly). The pay versions of each are supposed to catch it before it gets to your computer.
Note that for the future, it is a good idea to keep a download of each on a thumb drive, which you can plug in to run while in safe mode. Otherwise, you won't likely be able to run if from your puter in safe mode.
My worst malware came from a friends link on facebook. It took me at least a week of searching online (another pc) to finally figure out how to get rid of it. They can be a real PITA.
The guy who tried to help me recommended Windows Security Essentials, so I'm using that now (scanning daily). I looked at AVG, but comments indicate that it still has some problems with Win 7 x64. So much for being on the tech edge.
I do have everything on a stick so I can run scans in safe mode. That's how I thought I was getting rid of the problem the first two times it popped up. Files found did indicate a root kit (TDSS, Alureon, TDL3, SPM/LX, several connected to JAVA).
So, I'm still trying to figure out where it came from, hoping I can avoid future incidents (wishful thinking). Will probably never know how I got it. I think I need McGee and Abby!!!