• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

ICF Home

New posts
Thank you for your help.

We have a small lot so I am limited on how many patio areas I can have. I think we have that part down - and of course you are right on energy efficient windows!

Since you are a window expert let me ask - what are your recommendations on types of hurricane shutters? The hurricane glass windows are SO heavy and still can shatter so I think we would prefer shutters that either roll down or whatever. We are just starting to research that part. Going to have a metal roof btw.

Have you seen many homes around 30A that have solar panels? We have some here at the house in LA. We are planning on several with backup battery system at the new house. Can't say that I saw any when we were there last.

THX again
G
 
Gidget,

Take a look at the link below for another look at ICF's. The website is for Omnicrete, which I wouldn't say I'm for or against their particular product, though if you're seriously looking at an ICF system, I would also consider AAC (Aerated Autoclaved Concrete) and SIPs.

http://www.omnicrete.com/COMPARISON OC vs POLYSTYRENE.pdf

Choosing an appropriate building material is really a personal choice about priorities. What are the features that are most important to you?



Thanks for the link.

This is the type I believe that we are going to be building. Ours will look nothing like any of the types of houses shown in the thumbnails though. We haven't started yet - plans are still being made.

LOGIX ICF

G
 
Thank you for your help.


Since you are a window expert let me ask - what are your recommendations on types of hurricane shutters? The hurricane glass windows are SO heavy and still can shatter so I think we would prefer shutters that either roll down or whatever. We are just starting to research that part. Going to have a metal roof btw.


THX again
G

Some shutters are related to the type of windows you want. You can't use a bahama type shutter with a crank out window as it will hit the shutter. Bahama's are great for cutting down on heat build-up by shading the windows.
Roll down shutters are a great 24/7 protection for homes that are used part time. They are the most expensive in my experience. The drawback to roll downs are the large box needed to roll them up into as well as a track system exposed on the outside of the building. Also, should you be in the home during a storm, there is no light inside once the power goes out versus a bahama or lexan type of shutter. All types will have pros and cons based on how you use the building.
 
Hip roofs are very wind-tolerant compared to homes with gables. Which is not a small issue when you want to build to have a structure make it through a 120 mph wind event.
 
Though your gables were probably roofed with a certain amount of care. They're significantly easier to get wrong from a wind standpoint compared to the more idiot-proof hip roofs.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top