• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Interested in Coastal Dune Lakes???

New posts

John Linhoss

Beach Crab
Hi! My name is John Linhoss and I am a graduate student in the School of Natural Resources and Environment at the University of Florida. I am interested in human perceptions of natural areas.

Listed below are ten statements pertaining to the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County. I would like to get a discussion forum started around your reactions to the statements. You can respond to all of them or just those that you find interesting, and you can write as little or as much as you like. If you would like for your responses to remain anonymous, or if you have any questions you can email me at jlinhoss@ufl.edu.

Thanks for your cooperation!

1) Coastal dune lakes are unique.
2) The coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are healthy
ecosystems.
3) Lake outfalls should be allowed to open naturally.
4) I feel like the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are a part of me.
5) The shorelines around the coastal dune lakes are underdeveloped.
6) Human activities are impacting coastal dune lake ecosystems.
7) Folks in South Walton County know a lot about coastal dune lakes.
8) There are enough regulations to protect coastal dune lakes from
environmental harm.
9) The lake should be managed to maximize human use and
satisfaction.
10) South Walton County would not be the same without coastal dune lakes.
 
1. yes
2. for now, but we'll surely mess them up.
3. yes, but, if they are threatening real estate, they'll be opened up mechanically.
4. not a part of me, but I can embrace their beauty and value to the local ecosystem.
5. that's funny.
6. does anyone question this?
7. not enough. if so they would be more actively protected.
8. um, no.
9. satisfaction in knowing that we're doing all we can to keep them from any more negative human impact.
10. true. therefor we need to educate our populace more on protecting them.
 
1) yes
2)yes
3) yes
4) yes
5) no
6) yes. do you want to see photos?
7) no
8)perhaps there are enough regulations, but need more enforcement and education.
9) I'm not sure what type of management you are referring to. It sounds a bit too much like a police state, which is not what the Lakes should be about.
10) yes.

I should disclose that I give tours of the Coastal Dune Lakes and I also volunteer with the CBA which has been monitoring the Lakes and Bay for numerous years.
 
1) Coastal dune lakes are unique. True
2) The coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are healthy
ecosystems.:idontno: Depends on who you talk to, how one is measuring "healthy". Better off than many though.
3) Lake outfalls should be allowed to open naturally.Absolutely
4) I feel like the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are a part of me.Yes
5) The shorelines around the coastal dune lakes are underdeveloped.False, they are over developed
6) Human activities are impacting coastal dune lake ecosystems.Yes
7) Folks in South Walton County know a lot about coastal dune lakes. Some do, many don't.
8) There are enough regulations to protect coastal dune lakes from
environmental harm.False
9) The lake should be managed to maximize human use and
satisfaction. False
10) South Walton County would not be the same without coastal dune lakes. Absolutely true
 
Hi! My name is John Linhoss and I am a graduate student in the School of Natural Resources and Environment at the University of Florida. I am interested in human perceptions of natural areas.

Listed below are ten statements pertaining to the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County. I would like to get a discussion forum started around your reactions to the statements. You can respond to all of them or just those that you find interesting, and you can write as little or as much as you like. If you would like for your responses to remain anonymous, or if you have any questions you can email me at jlinhoss@ufl.edu.

Thanks for your cooperation!

1) Coastal dune lakes are unique.
YES, FROM WHAT I'VE READ, THEY ONLY EXIST IN SOUTH WALTON COUNTY AND SOMEWHERE IN AFRICA.
2) The coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are healthy
ecosystems.
FROM WHAT I'VE READ ON THIS BOARD, SOME OF THEM AREN'T (LIKE EASTERN LAKE).
3) Lake outfalls should be allowed to open naturally.
I DON'T HAVE THE KNOWLEDGE TO MAKE THAT DETERMINATION.
4) I feel like the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are a part of me.
YES, I GET JOY EVERY TIME I WALK, RUN, BIKE, OR DRIVE BY ONE.
5) The shorelines around the coastal dune lakes are underdeveloped.
IF YOU MEAN COMMERCIAL/RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT, THERE SHOULD BE A MORATORIUM ON ANY MORE DEVELOPMENT AROUND THESE LAKES.
6) Human activities are impacting coastal dune lake ecosystems.
IT APPEARS FROM WHAT I'VE READ ON THIS BOARD THAT THIS IS THE CASE.
7) Folks in South Walton County know a lot about coastal dune lakes.
I THINK MANY PEOPLE TAKE THEM FOR GRANTED.
8) There are enough regulations to protect coastal dune lakes from
environmental harm.
PROBABLY NOT, BUT I HAVEN'T RESEARCHED THIS.
9) The lake should be managed to maximize human use and
satisfaction.
I DON'T THINK THAT SHOULD BE THE MISSION STATEMENT FOR MANAGEMENT OF THE LAKES; RATHER THEY SHOULD BE MANAGED TO MAXIMIZE THE SUSTAINABILITY OF THE LAKES.
10) South Walton County would not be the same without coastal dune lakes.
I AGREE 1000%.
AND GO GATOR NATION AND UF RESEARCH!
 
Last edited:
:welcome:John Linhoss :wave: Did you see Camp Creek Lake yet? It is not underdeveloped. ;-) What happened there? :idontno: How was it determined which lakes could be developed and which couldn't? :confused: Seems like one should be protected as equally as the next? :roll:
 
1) Coastal dune lakes are unique.
Definitely
2) The coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are healthy
ecosystems.
Some are, some aren't, it all depends on how the lands that drain into them are managed and how populated the area is.
3) Lake outfalls should be allowed to open naturally.
Yes and no, occasionally due to human land misuse the ability of the lakes to open is impaired, requiring human means to open the outfall.
4) I feel like the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are a part of me.
Yes, pretty much, I always enjoy a good paddle around one of the lakes.
5) The shorelines around the coastal dune lakes are underdeveloped.
Sometimes, and that is a good thing. Some, like eastern lake are surrounded by development. Eastern Lake has had problems with sea grass growing in excess. One of the possible causes is fertilizer contamination from surrounding lawns and businesses.
6) Human activities are impacting coastal dune lake ecosystems.
Very much, Eastern Lake is still a wonderful example.
7) Folks in South Walton County know a lot about coastal dune lakes.
Some do, some don't. Most that don't care don't know, and most that don't know don't care. A vicious cycle.
8) There are enough regulations to protect coastal dune lakes from
environmental harm.
No, most fines are cheaper to pay than any sort of action that would protect the lake. That way people still dump, use excessive chemicals in their lawns.
9) The lake should be managed to maximize human use and
satisfaction.
No, anything that is naturally great should not be altered for human use. In that mindset we might as well install a wave pool or some other ridiculous thing in the ocean.
10) South Walton County would not be the same without coastal dune lakes.
No, one of the best parts about the beaches here is the dune lakes. They offer a calm body of water for smaller kids to play in, sustain a unique community of wildlife, and provide a great place for paddling, occasionally skiing and sailing.
 
1) Coastal dune lakes are unique.
Yes, they are, but many folks don't know that they are, or why they are.
2) The coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are healthy
ecosystems.
I don't really have the science to answer this accurately, but I suspect they could be healthier. Probably they are getting fertilizer runoff and septic runoff and who knows what else.
3) Lake outfalls should be allowed to open naturally.
Yes.
4) I feel like the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are a part of me.
I'm sorry, I don't really understand the question. If you asked me do I feel seperate from or a part of the natural world, I would say a part of the natural world. Does this help?
5) The shorelines around the coastal dune lakes are underdeveloped.
Huh? No, I don't think so.
6) Human activities are impacting coastal dune lake ecosystems.
Well, yes.
7) Folks in South Walton County know a lot about coastal dune lakes.
Some do. Most don't and a lot think they do but their timeframe is pretty short.
8) There are enough regulations to protect coastal dune lakes from
environmental harm.
Maybe, if the existing ones were enforced.
9) The lake should be managed to maximize human use and
satisfaction.
I really really hate questions like this that imply an either/or. How about we manage them for themselves AND for human use. But we can't until we stop framing it as one or the other.
10) South Walton County would not be the same without coastal dune lakes
I agree this is true.
 
Hi! My name is John Linhoss and I am a graduate student in the School of Natural Resources and Environment at the University of Florida. I am interested in human perceptions of natural areas.

Listed below are ten statements pertaining to the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County. I would like to get a discussion forum started around your reactions to the statements. You can respond to all of them or just those that you find interesting, and you can write as little or as much as you like. If you would like for your responses to remain anonymous, or if you have any questions you can email me at jlinhoss@ufl.edu.

Thanks for your cooperation!

1) Coastal dune lakes are unique.
2) The coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are healthy
ecosystems.
3) Lake outfalls should be allowed to open naturally.
4) I feel like the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are a part of me.
5) The shorelines around the coastal dune lakes are underdeveloped.
6) Human activities are impacting coastal dune lake ecosystems.
7) Folks in South Walton County know a lot about coastal dune lakes.
8) There are enough regulations to protect coastal dune lakes from
environmental harm.
9) The lake should be managed to maximize human use and
satisfaction.
10) South Walton County would not be the same without coastal dune lakes.

1-possibly
2-possibly
3-possibly
4-false-the coast is the majority of draw
5-some possibly
6-to a point-so
7-false
8-yes
9-yes
10-false-the coast is the majority of draw.
 
Hi! My name is John Linhoss and I am a graduate student in the School of Natural Resources and Environment at the University of Florida. I am interested in human perceptions of natural areas.

Listed below are ten statements pertaining to the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County. I would like to get a discussion forum started around your reactions to the statements. You can respond to all of them or just those that you find interesting, and you can write as little or as much as you like. If you would like for your responses to remain anonymous, or if you have any questions you can email me at jlinhoss@ufl.edu.

Thanks for your cooperation!

1) Coastal dune lakes are unique.Yes, found only on the coast of Africa, i believe
2) The coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are healthy
ecosystems. I want to say yes--but I believe they rae in jeopardy.
3) Lake outfalls should be allowed to open naturally. I absolutely agree--maybe ther are some Dune Lake landowners, unlike myself, who would disagree.
4) I feel like the coastal dune lakes of South Walton County are a part of me. Yes, I live on Camp Creek Lake, next to a preserve and across from one. I am very lucky.
5) The shorelines around the coastal dune lakes are underdeveloped. No.
6) Human activities are impacting coastal dune lake ecosystems. Absolutely.
7) Folks in South Walton County know a lot about coastal dune lakes. Very few know anything about them!
8) There are enough regulations to protect coastal dune lakes from
environmental harm. This, I feel, is totally incorrect.
9) The lake should be managed to maximize human use and
satisfaction. No.
10) South Walton County would not be the same without coastal dune lakes.
CORRECT!

John Happy to help out now or in the future... hnooe@aol.com
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top