• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Internet Service Provider

New posts

Nomads

Beach Comber
We are coming to Seagrove in a few weeks to spend our winter and are looking for an ISP with a local dial-up access number. We used Z-technology last year and it worked fine but have not been able to find their website. Fear they may have gone out of business. All recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
 
Earthlink has a Seagrove access number, not to mention hundreds of others. 850-468-0020.

There are getting to be a number of public wireless access points. On the east end of 30A, you've got the wine bar in Rosemary and the new Alyce Beach coffee shop. There should be something in Seaside, I'm just not personally aware of it.

A fair number of beach rentals have unsecured wireless routers, if you're into that sort of thing. I pick up (but prefer not to connect to) 2 to 4 of them at my house, depending on weather and whether they're powered up.
 
(850) 231-6966 - info@web30a.com
Located in the Lakewood Towne Center
5399 E Co. Hwy. 30-A
Seagrove Beach, Florida 32459

Great service (dial-up)
and very convenient!!
Highly recommend!

Have a wonderful winter in Seagrove!!
 
TreeFrog said:
Earthlink has a Seagrove access number, not to mention hundreds of others. 850-468-0020.

There are getting to be a number of public wireless access points. On the east end of 30A, you've got the wine bar in Rosemary and the new Alyce Beach coffee shop. There should be something in Seaside, I'm just not personally aware of it.

A fair number of beach rentals have unsecured wireless routers, if you're into that sort of thing. I pick up (but prefer not to connect to) 2 to 4 of them at my house, depending on weather and whether they're powered up.
I keep picking up my neighbor's wireless at my primary residence. I get a stronger signal from his than mine, and our lots are fairly large. I went wardriving just for grins on Saturday. Every neighbor had a wireless except for the rich old biddy next door.

We can pick up several neighbors' wireless networks at the beach as well, but I disable my wireless card for security reasons. I have some smart neighbors at the beach; my neighbors in GA just have money and aren't very tech-savvy, so I don't need to worry about security with them.

One of our neighbors at the beach has Sprint. He loves it. We're switching. We have Web30a, but dialup makes me want to claw my eyeballs out. It was really a negative factor when on several occasions this summer we were trying to decide whether or not to board up, and downloading all of the graphics was just too slow.
 
how does Sprint compare to Mediacom high speed internet?
Is it as fast?
how is the support?
what is the cost?
thanks
 
I can't compare Sprint to Mediacom - haven't seen the latter. Sprint is DSL, so it's serviceably quick and easily beats dialup. But Sprint's DSL in Seagrove is visibly slower than what I've experienced on DSL in urban areas. Sprint is affiliated with Earthlink - we got Earthlink EMail addresses when we signed up. I have to say I've been impressed with Earthlink's dialup speed when I find myself on the road and forced to use it for the lack of anything else. Way better than what I had with Compuserve back in the dark ages.
 
ecopal said:
how does Sprint compare to Mediacom high speed internet?
Is it as fast?
how is the support?
what is the cost?
thanks
Our neighbor has had both and much prefers Sprint. Maybe he'll drop in on the board and explain why.
 
If you have to use a dial-up services, try using Netzero, or Netscape both companies offer fast dial-up and Netzero is FREE for only 10 hours usage per month. What a deal. Just go to their web site, download and install. I use Netzero when I travel and some the hotels in remote areas do not have wireless services. I had no trouble finding local access number. Great for only surfing the web and pulling emails. Not for download music or large files.

the hutch
 
Mediacom was just very unreliable. Dropped out all the time. Perhaps they've improved in recent months. Sprint has been very reliable...and speed is quite good, too.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top