• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Intersting Article about your beaches....

New posts
I don't know if I agree with this. The vote to use only white sand that meets rigorous specs was a very progressive direction for the County and they were brave to make that decision in the midst of a lot of angry property owners. The mandatory evacuation plans in that County are very orderly and effective. It is also quite progressive for them to be working on an inclusionary housing ordinance. And they have a very strong planning director at the helm. I'm not saying they don't weight the protection of private property with protection of beaches, and I'm not saying I'm not hugely relieved that we have the State Parks at Grayton instead of the County Commission, so far as jurisdiction goes. But I think they are doing pretty well, all things considered. Guess my memory of the Commission from many years back is too good. I worked there summers and it was pretty strange. Counties (as compared to cities) are notorious for being weak in the area of land use and environmental protection.

I also know what kind of development the County allowed in the earliest days of the South Walton beaches being "discovered." It was schlocky high-rise structures, many of which were poorly constructed. Mercy!...ladies who had brunch at that round Holiday Inn in Destin would literally get motion sickness because the building foundation shifted so badly (revolving top floor). With the advent of Seaside, there was an awareness of the importance of creating a strong sense of identity and moving away from the idea of highrises. The "old Florida villages" concept took hold, the State Park system educated the decision-makers (to some extent), and the County recognized that its fortunes would rest on the protection of those beaches. I can assure you, things might well have been a whole lot worse than what you see today.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top