• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Is Local Governmet for Developers?

New posts

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
I read a news story this morning where a Palm Beach Attorney stated that she felt that government was acting solely on behalf of developers in Florida. Is this a pretty accurate description of the sentiment in this area?
 
I could see how one might think so, but in reality, gov't tends to side with the entities which will put more money into the gov't coffers, which in most cases happens to be developers. Developers take a piece of land, which doesn't bring in much in the way of revenue to the gov't, and they convert it into subdivisions which bring in greater tax revenues to the gov't. Some of the people buying those homes may even start new businesses (more tax revue), and let's not forget that County Commissioner wages are set accordingly to the population count. Mostly gov't in this area is in favor of getting more money for the County. Developers are just an easy Patsy.
 
I could see how one might think so, but in reality, gov't tends to side with the entities which will put more money into the gov't coffers, which in most cases happens to be developers. Developers take a piece of land, which doesn't bring in much in the way of revenue to the gov't, and they convert it into subdivisions which bring in greater tax revenues to the gov't. Some of the people buying those homes may even start new businesses (more tax revue), and let's not forget that County Commissioner wages are set accordingly to the population count. Mostly gov't in this area is in favor of getting more money for the County. Developers are just an easy Patsy.

And I guess the community does benefit. I saw where they just gave the Bark Park $12K in recreational plat money to operate. I thought that was going to be some sort of a joint venture when it got started, but I guess it is now going to be another service provided for by local government.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top