• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Is small the new big???

New posts

Chickpea

Beach Fanatic
Interested in your thoughts here. I know this market skews things in Sowal as so many people vacation here and, furthermore, I think that programs for second and third homes for some are more flexible - so to keep this on point let's assume we are talking ONLY about one's principal residence.

I recently attended a seminar that looked at the increasing national trend toward quality spaces (meaning: away from the McMansion to smaller, better-built homes). The demand for building smaller is becoming louder and is coming from homeowners who want comfortable places to live that are “right-sized”; making them more sustainable, energy-efficient, and economic to build. I personally love the idea of exploring the topic of smaller houses from the perspective of design, development and marketing. Given also national trend of a higher consciousness towards being more sustainable and a better steward of the land- does this not make sense to you guys? (not to mention the advantages of less to furnish, insure, heat, cool, clean, etc…)
 
Last edited:
"The Not So Big House" is one of our favorite books. McMansions are ridiculous.

Several years ago, we had considered building in KY, and had house plans based on this concept of quality vs. quantity. All spaces would be used at some time during the day- no empty rooms or cavernous spaces that would have to be filled with furniture but not people.
 
I also love "The Not So Big House" book and concept. Jdarg - I have the "Creating the Not So Big House" book if you ever want to borrow it.
 
I also love "The Not So Big House" book and concept. Jdarg - I have the "Creating the Not So Big House" book if you ever want to borrow it.


Thanks- I might! I need to read the "Not so Much Stuff" book first.:bang:
 
Given also national trend of a higher consciousness towards being more sustainable and a better steward of the land- does this not make sense to you guys? (not to mention the advantages of less to furnish, insure, heat, cool, clean, etc?)
We have been following this trend/school of thought/movement for the last few years. We are big fans of the whole "prefab" design movement, though I find the "prefab" label a bit of misnomer since a lot of what falls into that category is actually more on the level of high design and high quality. We live in a relatively small home on a modest-size lot, and I honestly feel it's enough space for us, even though it calls for a lot of togetherness to live this way. That's OK with me. If we would ever build a house--not likely, but just for the sake of discussion--I know we'd do it to be able to design exactly what we wanted rather than gain more space. I know of a married couple roughly in their 50s, no kids, currently living in a huge home who have just sold that home to build an even grander (in every sense of the word) one. Why?! To me, that is just irresponsible on so many levels.
 
I figured this concept out after living large for 7 years in "Mr. K's" house. Lovely 1926 home on 1/2 acre treed lot. By today's Starter Castle standards, it's 5100 sq ft. was hardly considered large (now they are building them up to 8 or 9,000 sq.ft. on that street). Personally, I felt like I was always losing things and people in that house. When we moved in 2000, we "lost" about 2,000 sq. ft. and I now feel at home. However, I REALLY feel at home in 1600 sq. ft. in sowal! :wave:
 
Too little...to late. Over the last couple decades we've wasted far too many resources (forrests, farms/orchards/beaches, minerals, metals, GRANITE) and too much energy building and maintaining too-big and too-tall "living spaces" (with many, many more to come) that today stand empty. What a shame.


.
 
The Not So Big House, while better than most mcmansions, the designs are still fairly oversized, in my opinion. I have been preaching your message for a number of years now, for many reasons. I have a couple of interesting titles for you, but I'll have to dig them out and post later.
 
Too little...to late. Over the last couple decades we've wasted far too many resources (forrests, farms/orchards/beaches, minerals, metals, GRANITE) and too much energy building and maintaining too-big and too-tall "living spaces" (with many, many more to come) that today stand empty. What a shame.


.

But . . . the pendulum always swings back.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top