• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Kayaking

New posts

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Ok, since hopefully we are going to be down the end of August. St. Andrews State Park rents kayaks single and double. I am wondering how easy they are to maneuver compared to a canoe. Wondering if they are easy to turn over.
 
sit on top kayaks, which is mostly what is rented around here, are much easier to paddle, maily due to less wind resistance from winds which hit you from the side. Don't expect to keep dry goods on the kayaks or canoes, unless you have dry storage bags, and secure them to the boat. IMO, in general,canoes are a little more tipsy than most kayaks, due to the kayaks having a lower center of gravity. However, the ones which are typically used in the rentals are wide, and have good stability. For most boating around here and PC, I would recommend the kayaks over the canoes, unless you are going on a short, few day river trip, carrying gear.
 
Thanks SJ. I appreciate the information. I've seen enough kayaks going past our beach house and they looked like they were handling them with no problem. But from the looks of them, they also kayak quite often. That is all I have seen also are the sit on top kind of kayak. Would be interested in doing that one of the days we are there. I would hope we could paddle them better than we did the canoe starting off. It took us about 30 minutes to get the hang of guiding the canoe. :lol:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top