• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Keep Off The Dunes

New posts

Kurt

Admin
A lot has been written on this site about reasons to keep off the dunes. A few minutes of people in the dunes taking photos, or kids playing, can undo decades of slow natural processes that build the dunes. They are very fragile. They are disappearing at an alarming rate. It is illegal to walk in the dunes or pick vegetation.

The problem is magnified by the loss of dunes from storms, yet the abuse by visitors seems to be getting worse. We must protect what we have left. Please help by spreading the word and educating anyone you see in the dunes. We also need to make sure locals and property owners are well informed.

Last night there was a wedding on Grayton Beach with over 50 people. They had set up a camping tent in the dunes. As the sun set and the happy couple had been sent on their way, the whole party started off the beach right through the dunes (a Sheriff's deputy in a vehicle was not 50 yards away and he did not flinch). Also during this time there were many other people in the dunes.

050806-grayton-001.jpg


050808-gulfhighlands-015.jpg


050808-gulfhighlands-023.jpg


050810-easternlake-006.jpg
 
Last edited:
Kurt, I am looking at a beautiful photo our family had taken in Grayton Beach in the summer of 1992 (boy I look good!!!). Here's the catch...we are sitting in the dunes surrounded by sea oats. (she had us sit on a towel...surely not to safeguard the dunes!) This photo was taken by a well respected photographer who lived in Grayton Beach at the time. Believe me when I say, we had NO idea this was a violation but surely our photographer should have known! This appears to be an age old problem. I hope your message gets out...now more than ever.
 
If trampling through the dunes is illegal then maybe the area residents need to set up a quasi official "Dune Watch" (modeled after city and town Street Watches). Additionally, any photographer applying for a business license should sign a contract stating that they will not put subjects on the dunes, and if they are caught photographing subjects on the dunes (or identified by the Dune Watchers) they should be heavily fined and have their business licenses pulled by the county.

Hoping that visitors and business people will suddenly respect the dunes just isn't enough--the arrogant few will destroy dunes faster than nature (or man, for that reason) can repair.
 
kurt said:

I think they need a poopie in their tent. Unfortunately, they probably purchased the tent for purposes of the wedding only. Shame, Shame, Shame! They probably don't have a clue.

I like the idea about fining the photographers for setting up people in the dunes, but we would be better off with a stick, because as you know, the County does not really care about enforcing any rules - we may offend a tourist.

I feel like pulling a little Beastie Boy mischief and leaving a note on site with the reasons as to why I took such actions.:bang:
 
I want to be a respectful tourist and I have a question. In the picture, the tent doesn't look like it is in the dunes but on the edge of the dune. I would love to get some nice family pictures but I guess I'm not sure as to what classifies a dune. Something with sea oats planted on it or just the sand piled up? Especially at Grayton where the dunes may not be as big in certain areas. Please educate me!
 
Ocean Lover said:
I want to be a respectful tourist and I have a question. In the picture, the tent doesn't look like it is in the dunes but on the edge of the dune. I would love to get some nice family pictures but I guess I'm not sure as to what classifies a dune. Something with sea oats planted on it or just the sand piled up? Especially at Grayton where the dunes may not be as big in certain areas. Please educate me!

The photo does not show the scene very well. It was in the dunes.

These days with restoration there are lots of piles of sand that haven't been planted yet that need protection. They will settle some on their own and need a natural compaction without being disturbed.

Anything other than the flat part of the beach should be avoided. In years past, homeowners, the county, and state helped keep traffic off with fencing and signs, but they have yet to appear, and may not in some cases.
 
The photo shows the tent set up on the dunes at Grayton Beach where the dune is not very dune like these days after the storms. In the past these dunes were posted with "keep off the dunes" signs and were surrounded by dune fencing to help them build up. For some reason, walton county has not replaced signs or dune fencing in quite some time. they are needed now more than ever!!!

Meanwhile, tourists really do not know about dunes - especially the small flat dunes that are in serious need of rebuilding. The poor dune doesn't stand a chance these days.

Maybe we need to scream for more signs and fencing.
 
Tootsie said:
The photo shows the tent set up on the dunes at Grayton Beach where the dune is not very dune like these days after the storms. In the past these dunes were posted with "keep off the dunes" signs and were surrounded by dune fencing to help them build up. For some reason, walton county has not replaced signs or dune fencing in quite some time. they are needed now more than ever!!!

Meanwhile, tourists really do not know about dunes - especially the small flat dunes that are in serious need of rebuilding. The poor dune doesn't stand a chance these days.

Maybe we need to scream for more signs and fencing.
Maybe we could get a lifeguard chair on the beach, turn it toward the dunes, and man it with a kid with a BB gun to hit... WAIT, stop! I did not say that.
 
kurt said:
The photo does not show the scene very well. It was in the dunes.

These days with restoration there are lots of piles of sand that haven't been planted yet that need protection. They will settle some on their own and need a natural compaction without being disturbed.

Anything other than the flat part of the beach should be avoided. In years past, homeowners, the county, and state helped keep traffic off with fencing and signs, but they have yet to appear, and may not in some cases.


Got it, thanks. I wouldn't want to end up with a bb in my bootie. :shock:
 
What about the big mounds of sand that have been scraped, but not pushed all the way to the bottom of the cliffs (formerly dunes)? Should I be reminding people not to walk on those? What effect are the tidal pools between these mounds of sand and the cliffs having on them? Is it sorta like when you build a big sand castle and the waves washing up behind it just wash it away? Does the county plan to push those mounds all of the way to the edge of the cliffs? BTW it looks awful, especially with those slimey looking tidal pools. But if it will eventually help the beach, I'm cool with it. Just wondering.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top