• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Knitting Classes?

New posts
This is hilarious because I was about to PM ckhagen about knitting... did you knit your son's pants/soakers that he had on today? I am a very beginner at knitting, scarves only and 1 receiving blanket for little man, and want to learn more. I have a friend in GA that can knit anything and everything and I wish I had made her teach me before we moved!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, is Unwind the closest yarn shop?

I wanna be in on any classes/groups starting up!

P.S. Most of my slowness in learning comes from being a lefty learning how to knit right handed!
 
Last edited:
This is hilarious because I was about to PM ckhagen about knitting... did you knit your son's pants/soakers that he had on today? I am a very beginner at knitting, scarves only and 1 receiving blanket for little man, and want to learn more. I have a friend in GA that can knit anything and everything and I wish I had made her teach me before we moved!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, is Unwind the closest yarn shop?

I wanna be in on any classes/groups starting up!

P.S. Most of my slowness in learning comes from being a lefty learning how to knit right handed!

I'm a lefty, too, and would love to learn how to knit. I can crochet just fine but I'm a little bored with it. All I want to do is knit scarves. Straight and rectangular will do it for me. If you learn, organicmama, will you show me how?
 
I'm a lefty, too, and would love to learn how to knit. I can crochet just fine but I'm a little bored with it. All I want to do is knit scarves. Straight and rectangular will do it for me. If you learn, organicmama, will you show me how?

I got the straight and rectangular down. I can knit but I am still working on the purling neatly. I can't crochet at all! My mom is a lefty and crochets beautifully and laughed at me when I tried.

Glad there's another lefty out there wanting to knit!
 
I guess knitting is the "in" thing again. My daughter is a lefty and has started knitting with help from books. I don't know if they have illustrations for leftys or if she just makes the adjustments herself. At Christmas time she was just knitting away and really enjoying it. When I was a teenager I used to knit but my mother was always around to do the finishing work. Now I wish that she made me learn to do it the hard way ~ that is without just handing it over to her :blush: .
 
I got the straight and rectangular down. I can knit but I am still working on the purling neatly. I can't crochet at all! My mom is a lefty and crochets beautifully and laughed at me when I tried.

Glad there's another lefty out there wanting to knit!
Purling is easy, just knit, and then turn it over. :funn: Or, if you want to knit, just purl, then turn it over. ;-)

Seriously, I have had many people ask me to teach them to knit lately. I even taught one gal from TN to knit while having a beer in the RedBar a few weeks ago. If you go to the RedBar or 3Thirty1 for a little Dread Clampitt, bring your knitting needles and yarn. You never know who else may be there. ;-)

With all the interest, I may think some more about teaching a small group of about 8 people some basic knitting and purling techniques so that people could make scarfs or hats. I mostly wing it as I go, but I think that I could handle a small group, as long as the tangents were kept to a minimum. I really might have to do some video of some parts of the knitting in order to demonstrate all of the examples of the trickier parts. So, if I were to teach a small group, I would probably host it at a central location like Cerulean's in WaterColor, unless someone in the group would want to host it, but I would have to figure out an evening to do it -- most likely on a Monday night.

sign up here if you would be interested.
 
This is hilarious because I was about to PM ckhagen about knitting... did you knit your son's pants/soakers that he had on today?

Nope. Lol, I can't knit a dishcloth after two years of trying :funn:
My friend Kiela of www.bubblebuttboutique.com knit them. She custom dyed the yarn for me as well since you don't find many longies in such bright beachy colors. I want to learn to knit before my kids are too old for soakers!

Purling is easy, just knit, and then turn it over. :funn: Or, if you want to knit, just purl, then turn it over. ;-)

No kidding?? Well, heck... how come nobody ever told me that. I have a terrible time with dropping stitches when I'm purling. Of course, I still can't figure out how NOT to add a stitch at the end of every row.

I would definitely come if someone wanted to help me figure this out. DH works nights though, so it would be a stretch, getting rid of the kiddos and all. If I have at least a week's notice though I can get him to schedule off on a specific night. I have another friend who really wants to learn too.
 
I would definitely come if someone wanted to help me figure this out. DH works nights though, so it would be a stretch, getting rid of the kiddos and all. If I have at least a week's notice though I can get him to schedule off on a specific night. I have another friend who really wants to learn too.

I'm signing up!

I'd still have Hunter with me... he's not the bottle type. I can probably get hubby to keep River & Zoe, especially on a Monday night. Tuesdays and Thursdays-Saturdays are rough at night, as hubby is singing those nights.

What about alternating the hosting, so as those with kids that don't have alternatives can feel comfortable? I can do that with ease.
 
I got the straight and rectangular down. I can knit but I am still working on the purling neatly. I can't crochet at all! My mom is a lefty and crochets beautifully and laughed at me when I tried.

Glad there's another lefty out there wanting to knit!

How about we do a swap then? I show you the basic crochet and you show me the basic knitting. You should see the gorgeous Italian yarn I have. I didn't know what I'd do with it when I bought it but it called my name in a siren song. :razz:

Gypsea, you'll like Mango when you meet her!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top