• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Leatherback Turtle in Sowal

New posts

FLSunChaser

Beach Lover
Ok turtle lovers . . .This is the first time a leatherback turtle has laid eggs in Walton County. The crawl was 6 ft in diameter which means this was a HUGE HUGE turtle. Must have been an awesome sight to see. 60 days and counting!!!
 
:clap:

Awesome! I would love to see one of them. I edited out the location, perhaps I am overprotective, even so...
 
That is terrific news, especially since that Leatherback was found in BMB last year, apparently killed from propeller wounds.
 
Sorry I missed it. But I had a leatherback surface in Seagrove close(10 ft) behind me one day. My guess was 6 ft across the back over 500lbs. Hope there's plenty like them around. I did see a smaller one this year close to shore but not nearly as big. There's lots of them out there but they still need protected.
 
I would guess that there aren't many Leatherbacks out there, since they are still on the Endangered Species list.

The Leatherbacks do grow rather large. They are the world's largest known turtle -- WoW!
 
true that SJ, not many leatherbacks but saw up to 30 turtles a day while fishing recently. So i hope their comin back. Just hope thet don't land at the Retreat. I think SoWal's finest would run out of zip ties since metal cuffs probably wouldn't fit their fins.
 
true that SJ, not many leatherbacks but saw up to 30 turtles a day while fishing recently. So i hope their comin back. Just hope thet don't land at the Retreat. I think SoWal's finest would run out of zip ties since metal cuffs probably wouldn't fit their fins.

:clap: :funn:
 
Last edited:
I love turtles! I saw one in the bay a couple months ago and was so excited I almost fell out of the boat.

One of the coolest things EVER is seeing them hatch!

Let's get the crap off the beach so they can nest!
 
:clap:

You are a good egg Kurt. Editing can be funn and lifesaving! :wave:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top