In my opinion, there are too many people, who don't care if they sell, placing ridiculous prices on their property. Doing so, causes greater supply that just sits on the market, untouched. Personally, I think that repels many potential buyers. I see plenty of examples of similar type properties for sale with prices fluctating 50%. There is no justification for some of these prices listed. The agents taking these listings will do whatever it takes (regarding listing price) just to get the listing. By not pricing the property correctly (market price), they are doing their customers, and other property owners a great disservice. Then, when a neighbor sees this ridiculous price, they say, "well if he can get that for his property, I will sell mine too." The problem is that nobody sells when this happens. Inventory of listings increases and sales decrease.
I think everyone around here could use a basic economics class.