Alys Beach prices seem out of whack to me. The lowest priced lot in the recent release was $785,000, a lot well north of 30a and fairly distant to the beach, with only an 18 month build out. Comparing apples to apples as much as possible:
http://www.peggygeppert.com/property.htm (scroll down)
$850,000 for a Watersound lot south of 30a, much easier walk to the beach, community further along.
Or;
http://rosemarybeach.com/realestate/homesites_listings.asp?search=3,All
3 Rosemary lots, priced $750,000 to $825,000, north of 30a, but in a community much further along than Alys Beach.
In my opinion, preconstruction is cheaper for a reason. There is the uncertainty as to whether the infrastructure will actually turn out to be what they say it will be (although EBSCO is a reputable company), plus you have to deal with all the construction nuisance (both yours and your neighbors).
I think Alys Beach is going to be nice, personal opinion of course, but if you accept that appreciation for the next couple of years is going to be flat, I think that if you?re interested in Alys Beach you?re better off letting someone else build, then buy a resale in 3 years.
I just wanted to add kudos to Kurt. I'm another lurker, but I must say this is the best run (and generally most civil) discussion board I've ever seen.