• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Lifeguards, Flag System, 20/20

New posts

Paula

Beach Fanatic
I heard today there were a few more drownings in Panama City Beach by rip tides recently. I don't know if the drownings were during days when a red flag was flying (in which people case should not have gone into the water because of the high hazard). Those of us who rent need to be sure to post the flag system in a prominent place in our rentals and remind people that they indeed need to follow the flag system for their safety and the safety of their children. Some visitors may not understand the flag system or understand the risk they are really taking when they don't pay attention to the flags. As posted on another thread, here's a thread to the flag system that you could download and post:

http://www.seemoresafetycrab.com/
 
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

I heard 3 drowned, and many others were rescued in PCB in the last week from rip currents. I assume it was when the water was rough, which has calmed some recently.

A lot of our flagpoles are down.
 
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

On the ABC news tonight there was a story about Walton County, "Black Sunday" , and rip tides. Tonight's 20/20 will have a story on what to do if you get caught in a rip tide.
 
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

Local officials are warning swimmers of strong rip currents in the Gulf of Mexico due to recent storms.
?[The rip current] has changed since pre-Ivan,? Shift District Chief Mark Anderson, South Walton Fire Department, said.
The South Walton Fire Department responded to a call Wednesday at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park. An unidentified man caught in the rip current was able to swim to shore on his own, but needed additional treatment due to over exertion. It was the fifth near drowning in South Walton County in two days.
The fire department had responded to four calls at Ed Walline Park the day before.


Learn about rip currents
 
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

ABC's 20/20 feature on rip currents was informative. The chairman of the Walton County Commission couldn't have done a worse job in the interview with correspondent Brian Ross, who hammered him over the lack of lifeguards. There are good arguments on both sides of the life guards or no life guards issue...none of which were articulated by the chariman. Thoroughly unprepared for prime time.
 
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

I just watched the special on 20/20 and I am appalled at the county commissioner's responses to putting life guards on the beaches. One actually came on national TV and said well, my best advice is don't go in the water. I pay over $7000.00 a year to the county taxes for a piece of land that is the size of a postage stamp and they are saying it is too expensive. My daughter and family members got caught in one over 4th of July week and luckily my brother in law knew what to do, but he had to make the decision, do I help my daughter or do I help my son who is getting pulled another direction. I believe Walton County Commissioners had better change some of their thinking. What can we do to get them to see the importance. As in previous threads, I would much rather see a life guard on the beach than some police officers sitting in their cars in the middle of 98.
 
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

Kim Smith said:
I just watched the special on 20/20 and I am appalled at the county commissioner's responses to putting life guards on the beaches. One actually came on national TV and said well, my best advice is don't go in the water. I pay over $7000.00 a year to the county taxes for a piece of land that is the size of a postage stamp and they are saying it is too expensive. My daughter and family members got caught in one over 4th of July week and luckily my brother in law knew what to do, but he had to make the decision, do I help my daughter or do I help my son who is getting pulled another direction. I believe Walton County Commissioners had better change some of their thinking. What can we do to get them to see the importance. As in previous threads, I would much rather see a life guard on the beach than some police officers sitting in their cars in the middle of 98.

I've been hammering at the TDC for two years about lifeguards, and I just got ignored. Walton County Commissioners have had their heads stuck in the sand for too long. I hope this story will shake them up.

After all, one of the guys who drowned was a former CNN correspondent! No wonder the media sat up and took notice when his wife spoke up.
 
Last edited:
Re: ABC 20/20 story on Walton County and tourist safety

It's always heartbreaking when someone drowns. My heart goes out to these families who've lost their husbands/fathers.

The article does make Walton County sound callous and uncaring... but it's sad that people can ignore flag warnings, go in the water, and then blame others when they get into trouble. Educating yourself is your own responsibility. We educated ourselves thoroughly on riptides, sharks, jellyfish, sand dunes and sea turtles before ever stepping foot on a beach. I don't understand why people want to remain ignorant of such things, when entering unknown territory. People in the water swimming with double red flags flying? That just blows my mind. If any of them were harmed, they'd be pointing their fingers at others faster than you can say "Call ABC!".
 
Re: Need to Post and Enforce Flag System - More Drownings

Many people have been forced out of the water, only to immediately return and die. You can post signs, flags, lifeguards every 50 feet and people will still enter the water and people will still die.

A Panama City official recently said, "We just don't have the resources. And if we did, we still might not be in the right place at the right time. So we do what we can through education and hope people take note".

Nevertheless, lifeguards will probably happen someday, as a reaction to the feeling of helplesness at the loss of life, and in the understood hope of saving just one life.

Vote in the polls:

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?p=7673

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=402
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top