• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Lifeguards for South Walton?

New posts

Do SoWal Beaches Need LifeGuards?

  • Yes. Drowning tourists are bad for the SoWal image.

    Votes: 7 25.9%
  • No. The sign says, swim at your own risk. Can't you read? Blub, blub, blub ...

    Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Maybe. Would we get to meet Mitch or CJ?

    Votes: 1 3.7%

  • Total voters
    27

lenzoe

Beach Fanatic
According to the recent issue of the Walton Sun, there are two proposals being considered for Walton County to place Lifeguards on its beaches. What's your opinion on the subject? Should SoWal have Lifeguards or not?
 
Last edited:
lenzoe said:
According to the recent issue of the Walton Sun, there are two proposals being considered for Walton County to place Lifeguards on its beaches. What's your opinion on the subject? Should SoWal have Lifeguards or not?

If there were lifeguards, would they be on the beach on red flag days? Last time we visited there were several of those and many people were swimming anyway. It worried me. :(
Coming from a tourist...an extra pair of eyes looking out for my children is an added plus.
 
I voted "yes." I don't think tourists "get" the seriousness of rip tides. I agree with adults being responsible for their actions but I agree about one more pair of eyes watching my (and everyone else's) youngsters! I keep an eagle's eye at the beach, but unfortunately, sometimes others do not. :roll:
 
Some of you long time residents...hasnt it been almost always adults who drown in riptides?
 
I wouldn't mind nearby professional help. But the other hand, there is so much beach I don't see how you could provide lifeguard coverage in the traditional sense. And frankly, whether it's at the pool or in the Gulf, I don't trust anyone else to watch for my kids anyway.

I don't let my kids go in without asking me, I won't let them go in on red flags, and when they are in, I always have either a boogie board and a life jacket nearby, or my kayak ready if I need to go in after them.

Like someone else pointed out, often it's the dads or strangers that jump in after the kids and get in trouble themselves.
 
lenzoe said:
Like someone else pointed out, often it's the dads or strangers that jump in after the kids and get in trouble themselves.

And THAT'S exactly why people need to heed the flags. Wasn't it just last week four Okaloosa County Firemen had to be rescued while attempting to rescue visitors? Lifeguards, while nice, are not the answer. The TDC has done a good job, IMO, of getting the word out about the flags. Brochures are everywhere, our rental company puts them in every rental for each new arrival, and it's discussed with the renters during the reservation process. Pay attention and be responsible.

Doesn't it always seem that surfers end up rescuing the most victims? Maybe we need more surfers:)
 
chrisv said:
...and it's discussed with the renters during the reservation process.

Prior to takeoff on a commercial airliner, they discuss safety information, yet no one seems to pay attention.

chrisv said:
Doesn't it always seem that surfers end up rescuing the most victims? Maybe we need more surfers:)
:floor: --another type of "professional" surfer. They would probably do the job for less money than lifeguards.
 
Smiling JOe said:
:floor: --another type of "professional" surfer. They would probably do the job for less money than lifeguards.

That's an idea! Start promoting SoWal as a surf mecca!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top