• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Limoncello/Kahlua recipes

  • Thread starter Thread starter DD
  • Start date Start date
New posts

DD

SoWal Expert
For SNS: See if you can talk Mermy into sending you her mom's recipe too!

Limoncello

1/2 gal vodka
Zest of 20 lemons-if they are small, I use more. Zest only--no pith at all.
5 cups sugar
7 cups water

Place vodka and zest in a sealable jar and allow to sit in a cool place for 4 days. On the fifth day, bring sugar and water to boil. Allow to cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add sugar solution to vodka solution and allow to stand overnight. Strain through a layer of cheesecloth in a conical sieve, pressing the solids firmly. Strain again in the same manner. Chill and allow to stand 1 week. Serve very cold. Makes 4 qts. (approx).

I put mine in pretty bottles and keep in the freezer for Christmas gifts. The boys in my family look forward to this every year.



Kahlua
3 c. sugar
2 c. white corn syrup
1 2 oz. jar instant coffee
2 oz. vanilla
1 fifth grain alcohol (Everclear)

Warm syrup and sugar in saucepan. Add 1 1/2 c. water and stir until mixutre starts to thicken.
In another LARGE pot, boil coffee and 5 cups water. Add vanilla. Pour syrup into coffee mixture. Cook and stir until thick enough to coat a juice glass. Remove. Cool. Add Everclear.
Bottle and store in a cool, dark place.
Makes 4 bottles.
 
ok, I am going to be making me sum allllkehaul!! :clap::clap: Still doesn't sound as funn as making the moonshine punch we drank in college though! LOL!
 
Thanks DD! I have been wanting to make this for a while. Perhaps I'll get to it during my time off over the holidays.

Mermy - hint, hint!
 
Do you have a benchmark of how much "zest of 20 lemons" should be?

Or a preferred vodka brand?

sb--I just sort of eyeball it. But I had really small lemons the other night and I ended up using 26.
I usually use a middle of the road vodka (the boys don't care!), but I'm sure it would be super delish with a really good brand.:wave:
 
Thanks - my cooking has issues even when I know exact measurements, which is why Mama Scooterbug adds uber basic comments like "cut with knife" when she writes a recipe down for me! :blush:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top