30A Skunkape said:
I have seen more good stuff with my patients when we don't get so hung-up on fat and instead concentrate on cutting simple sugars. I am amazed to see the weight loss and improvement in lipid panels. Talk to your doc and give it a try-look into old fashioned 'sugar busters' instead of atkins or south beach. And if nothing else, don't torture yourself with restrictions-try portion control :shock:
Ah, Dr. Skunkape, you are on to something!

A few years ago, my doctor said the same thing about the sugar busting. Stop the "white stuff"- refined sugars, flour, potatoes, white rice- anything white and starchy. She was right- it is the only thing that works for me, and I feel much better eating this way. You get to a point where it it not hard to turn down potato chips, fast food, and sugary sweets, and I crave fresh fruits and veggies. You are right about the portion control, and also, watch the fats at least a bit- cutting sugars does not give license to a 3 egg and bacon breakfast!
I tend to follow my doctor's advice- she is a walking testament of the benefits of taking care of oneself. She is 46, is careful about what she eats, practices daily yoga, into the soy thing (I"m working on this, but it grosses me out still), has never seen the sun (yeah, right), and is more beautiful now than she was at age 25 (I knew her then too). Somehow she has found a way to incorporate wine in her regimen with only positive results. I can't seem to perfect that one!
We don't cook alot of big meals anymore either- it is too easy to fall into the eating-too-much trap there. I fix something for the kids, then we eat salads, or sandwiches on low fat whole grain bread, or a pan of roasted veggies drizzled with balsamic vinegar,etc. Last night we picked at some peel-and-eat shrimp and tuna. We certainly don't look like supermodels, but we feel better!