• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Lunch box ideas?

New posts
I do totally understand what you are saying. It's sad for these families that go through this.
On the other hand the children may sit at lunch with her but feeling a litttle resentment because "it's because of her that I can't even eat my Pb & J." The sucky thing is that it's in so many packaged foods. crazy crazy.
If my daughter does bring in Pb than she'll eat in another room. I hate packing processed lunch meats since most has additives that are known to cause cancer. Plus the sodium that's in it. Yuck. I've been packing grapes, banana, carrots, cheese, yogurt.
I'm saying prayers!!! Have a good night!
 
Oh, I totally agree on not doing lunchmeat often. We definitely avoid it.

It's probably best not to let the kids know exactly who is allergic. Just that one of their classmates can become very, very sick around peanuts. No need to alienate. Little kids are usually very compassionate and understanding.

I'm so thankful that neither of my children followed in my footsteps, for their own sakes. But we also completely avoided peanuts until age 3 with the first one as a precaution and the 2nd was given peanut products without my consent by a relative (well-meaning, just uninformed) at about 18 months. He didn't react though and we're in the clear now :)
 
If your kids will eat it, cheese, crackers, and sausage can be a sandwich alternative. Think of it as a healthy "lunchable."

Can you use another nut butter on the sandwiches? Imagine that would be close enough it would still cause issues.

Crazy that the classroom has to be peanut free - when I was a counselor, PB and jelly was the standard trail lunch and the in-camp default at EVERY meal! :blink:
 
[Airlines will not serve peanuts if made aware of an allergy by a flyer.:idontno:
quote=Mango;456187]My neighbors daughter has a life threatening peanut allergy. The school she attends is aware of it, but it's not a peanut free school. She was just raised to be careful at school and when she goes to parties and friends homes. At Halloween, we always bought her Starbursts candies and set them aside for any other kids that might have allergies.

Although I sympathize, other kids live on the them, and it's sad the majority is penalized for the minority because parents can't control every situation with kids. Other kids will eat their candy, and most, if not all, are made in plants that have exposure to peanuts.

I disliked peanut butter as kid, though. But I loved cream cheese and jelly sandwiches. My mom used to change it up too with apple butter and cream cheese.

Here is a list I found on-line of peanut butter substitutes. [/quote]
 
I wonder what is causing all these peanut allergies? It seems they are becoming more prevalent
 
If your kids will eat it, cheese, crackers, and sausage can be a sandwich alternative. Think of it as a healthy "lunchable."

Can you use another nut butter on the sandwiches? Imagine that would be close enough it would still cause issues.

Crazy that the classroom has to be peanut free - when I was a counselor, PB and jelly was the standard trail lunch and the in-camp default at EVERY meal! :blink:


Both classrooms are nut free. So that means no granola bars with nuts, peanut butter crackers, etc. We have never had to deal with this and this year we have two classes to deal with! My 9 y/o is now stuck eating the rest of the Sam's club size peanut butter, poor kid! After he finishes he may develop a nut allergy!

I remember when I was in school having pb & J sandwiches on the lunch tray!:shock:

A friend from California told me that the schools there are completely nut free. I have a feeling we aren't too far from that.
 
Last edited:
Are the parents just freaking, or are the peanut/nut allergies really that severe?

Why can't they just have meds on hand for the allergic kid on the off chance they react? :idontno:

Are severe nut allergies really that common in kids these days?

Because if so, I am going to start telling the parent of every misbehaving brat that I am a nutatarian who works in a peanut factory so their child should keep its distance! :biggrin:
 
My 8 year old is a very picky eater, always has been. At her school they have a "peanut" table, if she brings peanut butter, it's her that has to eat a different table with any other kid that brought peanut butter. I like the way our school handled that.

She didn't like having to sit at the "special" table everyday so I started packing her cheese sandwiches, which she would not eat. I think in her case, it was the large sandwich, she would take one look at it and think, I can't eat all of that. So, one day I made the sandwich on a dollar roll (a small dinner roll). She loved it, at first I was just making her one, but now she asks for 2 and some days will even allow me to add turkey to them. I also pack a refreezable (sp?) ice pack in her bag to keep them cold.
 
I wonder what is causing all these peanut allergies? It seems they are becoming more prevalent


That is strange...is the allergy itself more prevalent or are the schools trying to prevent a lawsuit? It would be interesting to see if any schools have been held liable in the recent past.
 
allergies in general have become more prevalent including nut allergies.

For the health of it has "Healthy" lunch meats with out all the junk. I think the brand is applegate farms. I tend to pack a thermos with all kinds of stuff. Spaghetti and meat balls, soups of course, chili, rice and chicken.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top