• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Lunch place in Dothan?

New posts
Where the heck is the Mellow Mushroom? I always hit Gutherie's when I go through Dothan, though an hour later, I always wished I had rather stopped at the grocery store and eaten an apple and banana.

For what it's worth, though, it's been about ten years, my mom's friend died after eating bad oysters at that Hunt's in Dothan, which is owned by different people than the Hunt's in Panama City. I could never bring myself to eat there.

Guthrie's? :puke: I can get you the recipe for the "special" sauce if you want it.

I didn't know there was one there, either, but I bet they are "mellow" because they are using "shrooms" from the cow pastures!

Remind me to tell you the embarassing story of the one in PCB. It's not board material.
 
spoken like an ex-employee. I lived two blocks from the Guthrie's in Athens and every time I walked in the door to get a plate, I left smelling like grease. I couldn't imagine working there. Now about the secret sauce...
 
I would do the Mecican Connection over the other.

It is just a mom and pop joint. Ran by 2 hippies from waaaaaay back. But the food is good and fresh. They make thier salsa everyday and fry chips all day as well. They treat their employees like family. I know b/c I worked their for a couple of years. ;-)

The rellenos (sp?) are homemade and my favorite. The carne asada is wonderfull also. They have a flour chip nacho that is to die for(My favorite is the chicken).

The gold margarita is delicious to me. It is an old recipe and it has an olive in it. yes, an olive.

Ask if Debbie or Sandy is working and sit in their section. They are true "southern girls". :biggrin: Tell them I said HI! Sometimes it can be quite busy in there. Remember you can always eat at the very very small bar but you get quite a bit of entertainment.

Buy some salsa to bring home.

OK, where is BB, I need a roadtrip! :wave:
 
If you want one of the best "comfort food" meals you'll ever have (outside of my grandmother's kitchen - God rest her soul) go to The Blue Plate.
 
Sorry Bob, just can't go to a place where the first thing on the menu is chicken livers/gizzards! :puke:

The vast array of menu items considered delicacies by the typical southerner's palate are certainly not for everyone... I'm not a gizzard man myself as a matter of fact (although a chicken liver or two with can definitely hit the spot on occasion).;-)
 
The vast array of menu items considered delicacies by the typical southerner's palate are certainly not for everyone... I'm not a gizzard man myself as a matter of fact (although a chicken liver or two with can definitely hit the spot on occasion).;-)
30A bob, I don't know if you have ever been to the SunnySide Grill on the West End of PCB, front beach road, but they serve fried chicken livers. :wave:
 
I'm from the Dothan area and my favorite was always Mexican Connection. The food and service are great, and the sweet tea will make your teeth hurt. Or you can swing by my grandmother's house and she will make you the best chicken & dumplins' you ever had (she might make you stay for a few hours and help her shell peas, though).

InletBchDweller, how long did you live in Dothan?
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top