• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Marketing Jobs?

New posts

mediagal

Beach Crab
I'm currently working for a tourism guide in the area and I'm looking to get into a marketing/editorial/pr job, freelance or otherwise in the BSW area. There are no jobs in the papers and I'm wondering how to get into this-I know there has to be all kinds of upcoming opportunities with all the growth in the area. Does anyone have any leads?
Thanks so much!
 
Can you tell us a little more about what you do now and/or would like to do? What skills do you have that you would enjoy putting to use every day?
 
mediagal said:
I'm currently working for a tourism guide in the area and I'm looking to get into a marketing/editorial/pr job, freelance or otherwise in the BSW area. There are no jobs in the papers and I'm wondering how to get into this-I know there has to be all kinds of upcoming opportunities with all the growth in the area. Does anyone have any leads?
Thanks so much!

I think the hospitality industry would be your best bet. St. Joe and Sandestin both have employment listings on their websites. But I will tell you a straight editorial job will be hard to come by down here. It would likely mean a newspaper job with the Destin Log, Walton Sun or the PC paper. I doubt positions at those papers would pay more than $20-25K per year. At that salary, I guess you could live in Paxton and commute every day. :)
 
I doubt positions at those papers would pay more than $20-25K per year. At that salary, I guess you could live in Paxton and commute every day.

Maybe, but unless you have a scooter, the gas money will eat what Uncle Sam doesn't. Thank God that our prices are not as high as Europe, around $6.00+ US dollars per gallon.
 
I've known of people who have looked into Destin Log jobs. You'd seriously get a better hourly wage working at Alvin's Island than you would doing design work for them.

The people I know that make a living wage for these parts for that kind of work are civilian contractors for Eglin or Hurlburt. Try the company web sites for places like Boeing, Dyncorp, Sverdrup, MacAuley-Brown, etc.
 
mediagal said:
I'm currently working for a tourism guide in the area and I'm looking to get into a marketing/editorial/pr job, freelance or otherwise in the BSW area. There are no jobs in the papers and I'm wondering how to get into this-I know there has to be all kinds of upcoming opportunities with all the growth in the area. Does anyone have any leads?
Thanks so much!

That's a pretty broad brush - marketing/editorial/pr. Can you be more specific?

A lot of people are doing that kind of stuff for the resorts, realtors, or builders.
 
well, let's see. i am currently the editor/writer of a statewide tourism magazine. before that i was the research editor of the #1 epicurean magazine in the country. i'm looking to move into marketing/pr, writing press releases, setting up press and hosting events for clients. and in the meantime, i'd be writing freelance articles/copyediting for various mags around the country.
i'd really like to work for various clients, rather than just get tied to one job-there seems to be so much opportunity in the area with the booming growth. so, i just wanted to check to see if anyone knew of any pr/marketing firms in the area that might be interested in hiring a freelance/part-time person.
thanks!
 
i just wanted to check to see if anyone knew of any pr/marketing firms in the area that might be interested in hiring a freelance/part-time person.

Redfish Business Services, which recently sold out, was the only marketing firm in the area of which I am aware. I do know of another professional Marketing Excecutive that moved to the area about 5 years ago, and she works for a large company in Atlanta, only she does it from her house here at the Beach. Could working long distance be a possibility for you, too?
 
There are a few agencies. A good place to get some leads might be the Emerald Coast Chapter of the Florida PR Association.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top