I haven't been back in a while, but when I saw this thread I had to comment! Being a New Yorker, I'm not really a driver and always prefered to get around by foot or public transport.
I've been putting a "98 Tram" into the subconciousness of my friends here for along time. Everytime we plan to go out, I say, "Oh, let's take the tram!".
I actually spoke with some people at the TDC & Great Northwest Development group about it, but they looked at me like I had three heads and said public transport wasn't an option here.
Here's the vision: a tram that runs from Ft. Walton to Panama City on 98, will eliminate heavy summer traffic and be more environmentally sound and help prevent drunk driving, traffic lights at every intersection will ensure fewer accidents , free (and cheap) tram cars to restore are available through non-profits, will be a great tourist attraction
Thoughts?