• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Memphis to Seagrove

New posts

Paige

Beach Lover
I'm from Arkansas and we drive through Memphis on our way down. We always go I55 to Jackson, 49 from Jackson to Hattisburgh, 98 to Mobile and I10 to 331. We have taken this route the last 10 years. Now I read on the Rental board that the best way from Memphis is through Birmingham. Is this correct?
 
Last edited:
Try it a few times and see what is best for you. We used to do the Jax thing when we had friends that lived there. They moved and I learned to listen to my daughter who used to spend way too much time at Seaside.

Anyway, that's our route. It should get even better when they finish 4 laning 78 all the way into B'ham.:biggrin:
 
Also, where are the speed traps? We are going to go I65 to Exit 106 (Georgiana) and then Hwy 55 (through Andalusia) to Florara and 331. 331 to you know where.

List the speed traps.
 
Last edited:
Also, where are the speed traps? We are going to go I65 to Exit 106 (Georgiana) and then Hwy 55 (through Andalusia) to Florara and 331. 331 to you know where.

List the speed traps.

Paige, my husband and I are from Memphis also. We go 78 to Birmingham and pick up 65 and stay on it south of Montgomery and take off on Exit 106 at Georgiana to Hwy 55. We took this route two years ago and we saw no speed traps and Hwy 55 is not as heavily traveled and was great. It is two lane but it was perfect. And boy did we make great time. We left Memphis at 7:30 a.m. and made it into our beach condo at 3:15 that afternoon. That is under 8 hours. When we took 65 to 231 in past years it took us a little over 9hours. So as far as I am concerned there is no better route than the one you are taking as it is the one we will be taking from now on out also.
 
Paige,

The times I have participated in the speed reduction program have been at the hands of the Florida State Police. No speed trap, just a single car with a radar (or maybe a laser) speed gun. Dumb me, can't figure out that I have to slow down when Icross the AL FL state line.:bang: Too excited to get there I suppose.
 
We just drove last week from Memphis to Seagrove through Birmingham. We did stop in Bham overnight to see friends--and then down 65 to Evergreen, and over to Luverne, down 331. I think there are somewhat shorter routes (Ladydebubba's sounds like one we'll try next year). Memphis to Bham was quick and easy--78 is now almost all 4 lanes (we made it home on Sunday in 4 hours and 20 minutes). I think driving thru Miss. is a really long route over back roads that are not always the safest (we had a nasty car accident in Opp coming home from the beach a few years ago).
 
yes I know Opp is in Ala on 331--but there seems no other way to go to Seaside that isn't much longer. My point is we try to minimize back roads.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top