• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Musings about SoWal

New posts
First of all, it was great to be there in Winter, the only season I'd never been in SoWal. Loved, loved, loved the quiet of it! Deserted beaches, no traffic, even closed businesses were fine. Talk about a slower pace! I wish we'd had more sun, but I enjoyed what we had.
I love to see that some of the places I know are much the same--Old Grayton is still Old Grayton, for example. Really like the look of some of the new things--Alys Beach looks like it will really be something.
One of the things I really didn't like--I hope I don't offend anyone here--Watersound. That horrible building that houses the real estate sales office and whatever else. I'm sorry, but that is a monstrosity. And there are some beautiful homes there, no question, but the look is so heavily New England that I felt almost disoriented. And just how much land constitutes Watersound? That was mind-boggling.
One thing we saw down that we loved that is just a small detail was this amazingly interesting and beautiful siding going onto a house on the south side of Watercolor. It's shake siding done in a kind of irregular, zigzag pattern in shades of muted gray. Every day we drove by we marveled at that siding!
 
Well, my little pea....I can only agree with EVERYTHING you have mused! That house with the irregular shape going up in WC is the most interesting architecture I have seen in a while! It looks like a storybook house to me! Although WS has some beautiful gulf fronting property, it has always left me wondering what the draw is dwelling wise. Everytime we have driven through there we say it's the last time...so confusing! Different strokes is the name of the game and 30-A has something for everyone! So glad your b-day trip was so memorable!!!
 
Hi peapod! Now you've made me want to look more closely at what Watersound has. We were last there in July when we had our bikes with us and we had our eyes more on the trails and nature bridges than the architecture. Are you talking about that building that fronts 30-A that sort of looks like an "A" with a rounded top? I like that building; but then again, I like the Hilton house, too. I guess there's no accounting for taste with some of us. ;-)

Good to have you back and now you've made me want a dinner at Borago!
 
Sueshore said:
Well, my little pea....I can only agree with EVERYTHING you have mused! That house with the irregular shape going up in WC is the most interesting architecture I have seen in a while! It looks like a storybook house to me! Although WS has some beautiful gulf fronting property, it has always left me wondering what the draw is dwelling wise. Everytime we have driven through there we say it's the last time...so confusing! Different strokes is the name of the game and 30-A has something for everyone! So glad your b-day trip was so memorable!!!
:D It does look like a storybook house! You're exactly right. I"ve never been so fascinated by siding! :clap_1:
 
Mermaid said:
Hi peapod! Now you've made me want to look more closely at what Watersound has. We were last there in July when we had our bikes with us and we had our eyes more on the trails and nature bridges than the architecture. Are you talking about that building that fronts 30-A that sort of looks like an "A" with a rounded top? I like that building; but then again, I like the Hilton house, too. I guess there's no accounting for taste with some of us. ;-)

Good to have you back and now you've made me want a dinner at Borago!
Yes, it's HUGE! And just looks so out of place to me. I hated it, but I like the Hilton house just fine!
Oh, another building I did like was the condo building being built right next to Cocoon's--very nice looking. The nice man there told us it's already won some architectural awards.
Hey, I'm ready for another Borago extravaganza myself! That was a great day--lunch at Amore and dinner at Borago! :bow:
 
peapod1980 said:
First of all, it was great to be there in Winter, the only season I'd never been in SoWal. Loved, loved, loved the quiet of it! Deserted beaches, no traffic, even closed businesses were fine. Talk about a slower pace! I wish we'd had more sun, but I enjoyed what we had.
I love to see that some of the places I know are much the same--Old Grayton is still Old Grayton, for example. Really like the look of some of the new things--Alys Beach looks like it will really be something.
One of the things I really didn't like--I hope I don't offend anyone here--Watersound. That horrible building that houses the real estate sales office and whatever else. I'm sorry, but that is a monstrosity. And there are some beautiful homes there, no question, but the look is so heavily New England that I felt almost disoriented. And just how much land constitutes Watersound? That was mind-boggling.
One thing we saw down that we loved that is just a small detail was this amazingly interesting and beautiful siding going onto a house on the south side of Watercolor. It's shake siding done in a kind of irregular, zigzag pattern in shades of muted gray. Every day we drove by we marveled at that siding!


I agree with your observations. As far as the Watersound real estate building goes - what were they thinking? Watersound does have an awesome beach though!!
The Watercolor house sounds interesting. Can't wait to check it out. It is not too busy?
We will be coming down on Christmas Day and will be staying until New Years Eve so the peace and quiet sounds great! There will be no better way to unwind after the holidays than to be in SoWal.
 
Gypsea said:
I agree with your observations. As far as the Watersound real estate building goes - what were they thinking? Watersound does have an awesome beach though!!
The Watercolor house sounds interesting. Can't wait to check it out. It is not too busy?
We will be coming down on Christmas Day and will be staying until New Years Eve so the peace and quiet sounds great! There will be no better way to unwind after the holidays than to be in SoWal.
That was exactly my question!
No, it's not busy-looking at all. I probably did a lousy job of describing it, and I didn't take a photo of it, either. :bang:
Maybe if we asked nicely, SJ would do it... :D
 
peapod1980 said:
No, it's not busy-looking at all. I probably did a lousy job of describing it, and I didn't take a photo of it, either. :bang:
Maybe if we asked nicely, SJ would do it... :D

Either that or hang on a week, Peapod. Merman and I will take a photo after Christmas when we're down there. From what you've been saying, they must be going great guns with the building at Watersound since we were there last. I think Merman and I will have to cycle down and take a gander. I like interesting things so I should find the house no problem.
 
Gypsea said:
I agree with your observations. As far as the Watersound real estate building goes - what were they thinking? Watersound does have an awesome beach though!!
The Watercolor house sounds interesting. Can't wait to check it out. It is not too busy?
We will be coming down on Christmas Day and will be staying until New Years Eve so the peace and quiet sounds great! There will be no better way to unwind after the holidays than to be in SoWal.

Double dam*!!! I am missing you too!!!! If you have never been to SoWal during the week after Christmas into NY's, be prepared for an awesome experience!!!! We have done that very thing for the past three years ("just the two of us", I know it's a song lyric!). The pace is so different and I find it a real spiritual renewal for the new year ahead.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top