• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Need Help With Guest Book Please

New posts

yippie

Beach Fanatic
Hi everyone. A friend of mine purchased a cute two bedroom home in Crystal Beach. This is their first time with renting a vacation home.

There are a couple of things I would like to ask your help with.

First, as a house warming gift, I would like to make them an information book, including restaurants in the area, etc. and also a guest book. I have read on other threads that some of you provide these in your homes and the guest love them. Besides collecting menus from restaurants in the area, I have no idea where to start. Could you offer some guidence from where to purchase a cute book, to other things to put in it. Also, where to purchase a guest book that doesn't look like a wedding book?

Secondly, what are some of the special small things in homes that renters appreciate? From accessories, etc.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
 
Yippie, what a nice idea!

I had the hardest time finding a guest book. What I ended up doing last trip up was going to Lily Pads in Grayton -- they had a few appropriate ones, and one that was even on sale. Since you are local you should have good luck finding something at LP or another boutique.

I would give them a SoWal sticker and tell them to come here and get some of the wonderful ideas used by Paula, Donna, Mermaid and others on furnishing their homes and providing customer service.

Katie Blue has put together a great Word Document that is a renter's guide to SoWal and she was kind enough to email a copy to me. It has lots of great info and is very attractively laid out as well. :clap_1:

I am still learning what works and what doesn't, but I found that renters really appreciate small things left behind like coolers, beach toys, boogie boards, noodles, etc. Also a couple of fly swatters are important. :blink: It is good to have one or two sets of inexpensive sets of beach chairs and umbrellas, too. Games, books, PlayStation 2 is nice (not that you would buy one for your friends but it is a good idea to have a game system).

Also warn them that it is impossible to please all renters, but those extra touches do make a difference with most of them. Also have them scatter some family pictures around the house so it is clear the house actually "belongs" to someone!
 
About a year ago, some clever soul did a guest book format that we could download and customize. We did this, had it printed in color and laminated, then spiral bound. I left it at the house and have received many positive comments. It included everything from numbers for vital services to a page on beach flags and hazards to recommendations for restaurants and recreation. I would love to see this again, since I made only one copy of the guide for our house. It is still there, but I would sure like to have a backup. As luck would have it, I did not save the file so that we could reproduce it.

Can anyone help or can we retrieve this from that far back? :idontno:
 
Yes, Yippie, you (or anyone) can PM me your email address if you'd like a copy of the visitors guide that Paula and I put together last year. Might need some updates/additions, but it's a great start and you can edit/customize it as you like.
 
Besides the great ideas mentioned above , I get those free brochures (things to do, beach safety etc. from Beaches of South Walton Tourist Development. They also have a beautifully put together book that allows you to list your rentals for free too. Just got my first booking today from that.

They have a Fall brochure that I just ordered with events.
 
yippie said:
Hi everyone. A friend of mine purchased a cute two bedroom home in Crystal Beach. This is their first time with renting a vacation home.

There are a couple of things I would like to ask your help with.

First, as a house warming gift, I would like to make them an information book, including restaurants in the area, etc. and also a guest book. I have read on other threads that some of you provide these in your homes and the guest love them. Besides collecting menus from restaurants in the area, I have no idea where to start. Could you offer some guidence from where to purchase a cute book, to other things to put in it. Also, where to purchase a guest book that doesn't look like a wedding book?
Secondly, what are some of the special small things in homes that renters appreciate? From accessories, etc.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Seashore Journal Maybe you can affix an embossed or engraved plate with the name of the home, the owners' names and the date they purchased.

I stayed at a rental in Maine that provided a coffee grinder and fresh coffee beans--thought that was a nice touch.
 
Maybe even a stack of beach towels for the renters to use. When we went on vacation recently, I had to pack several and once we got to our destination, it turns out they stocked some for renters in each bathroom. Of course it would've been nice to have known that before we packed but still was nice just the same!
 
Thank you everyone for your ideas. And I was just by Lily Pads Today :(

I went by Michaels in Destin and they have a scrap book section. The theme in the house is yellow and blue denim furniture. I found a blue denim book. I was thinkin the scrap book thing may work so we can add and remove menus and other information as needed.

Also, I think I found a real find at Michaels. White picture frames 5X7 for $1.99 a piece. I thought maybe some local photos would look nice sitting around the house?

I love the engraved idea, but I don't think I have the time for that. They will be back in town Thursday night.

Beach towels are a great idea, too. I will remind them about the chairs and umbrellas.

Went by the TDC and got copies of all menus there and the See More Safety Crab brochure explaining the beach flag system.

Whew, anything else would be appreciated!!! I think you guys have gotten me off to a fine start!!!

This is quite funn! :clap_1:
 
In our unit we keep beach towels, I have never had a problem with people taking them...
Johnrudy said:
Maybe even a stack of beach towels for the renters to use. When we went on vacation recently, I had to pack several and once we got to our destination, it turns out they stocked some for renters in each bathroom. Of course it would've been nice to have known that before we packed but still was nice just the same!
 
Oh I forgot,

I put crayons in a ziplock bag with a safety crab/flag coloring book and so when the adults are trying to unpack the child has something to do...
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top