• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Negative Campaigning in Walton

New posts
The only ad I've seen regarding two opposing candidates is the one comparing the present sheriff's job performance to what Mike Adkinson would do in a similar situation or how he would more closely monitor funds. Outside of one glaring error regarding the funding of the 911 system by the present sheriff, I saw nothing negative about the ad. It pretty well described what has transpired under the present sheriff's administration. I don't view it as negative at all, except possibly, for the paragraph on 911 funding.
If this is not the ad or "campaigning" you are referring to, then I am still at a loss as to what you are talking about. On the other hand, if you support a specific candidate for office, say so. I feel that beating around the bush when talking about who will fill important offices in this county is a detriment to all of us trying to decide who is the best candidate available to us. Finally, I certainly do not appreciate or condone negative campaigning. I usually recognize it when I see it.
If this is what we are talking about (adkinson ad) then I find nothing wrong with the concept. :biggrin: Showing how you differ from your opponent is not negative. That particular ad sort of left me asking "where's the beef? :confused: It went into great detail about the shortcomings of the incumbent (which everyone should know already) but failed to give details of how the candidate was any better other than sharing some lofty platitudes. :yikes: I think in some cases the hired guns can tend to outsmart themselves. :bang:
 
You managed to spend 11 paragraphs talking about "negative campaigning", which I abhor by the way, and never once mention who is doing the negative campaigning and who it's against. What, exactly, are you talking about? Please enlighten me.

ditto
 
Glass Breaks

All I can say about candidates bringing out negative campaigning to attack their competition is this; Those Who Live in Glass Houses, Should Not Throw Stones. 'Bout sums it up. ;-)

I guess if you don't live in a glass house, fire away...
 
For those of us who haven't seen the ad -- would those of you who have seen it characterize it as issues-based negativity or personal smears?

While I completely dislike any campaigning that tries to persuade me to vote against someone rather that for something, I do see a difference between attacking on issues and record in office and smearing someone or twisting words and misleading the public.
 
I assume we are all talking about the Adkinson-Johnson comparison ad. If so, I would not call it a personal attack or a smear job.

It is a compare/contrast type ad. It lists a number of problems experienced by the current administration, and focuses on accountability, specifically fiscal accountability.

I agree with a previous poster, however, in that it did not detail Mr. Adkinson's plans for solving these problems. I guess we are to assume that the "ideals" espoused by Mr. Adkinson are his way of saying he won't do any of these things.

And to be clear, I do not view that as negative campaigning. How many people on here have bashed the current sheriff? Some of those comments would certainly be "negative campaigning". Pointing out that a candidate, especially an incumbent, has failed the public in certain ways is truthful and a fair stance.

I prefer to see that kind of campaign. After all, how many ads that simply say "I am a good person and will do a good job", or some variant, can we see. They aren't helpful, and are rather repetitive. I like to see issues at the forefront.
 
Negative campaigning practices

I agree we should have candidates spend more time telling us what they are going to do for us. A fine example of more negative waste was at the forum in Freeport where the same candidate that had this ad, spent much of his time to talk about himself telling us that the current sheriff was not in attendance. For many of us in the audience it was wasting time on something that was obvious and it showed how unproffessional he is. I think he is still angry that the county commisioners (some of them) finally done what is right and voted to pay for the 911 system and he had already posted his ad, sounds like he was told that they were going to vote against it prior to the meeting but it backfired? This same sheriff candidate mentioned that Johnson had asked for an increase in his budget, but failed to mention that he has raised his own budget by 90% or over 800,000 since taking office. I know we have all heard about the salary increases etc. Folks there are only 16-18 officers and the salary increase was only a small portion of the over 800,000.00 increase. I think you will find that his salary has been the biggest increase and close to 20,000.00. He talks about being a conservative and watching over our money better...just more of his misrepresenting the truth. Become an informed voter don't just believe what you are told. There is so much information out there on-line and for public view that will show the truth. For examlpe FDLE reports show that in 2007 the sheriff's office had an attrition rate (people leaving) of 15%, which is 1.5 for every 10 and not good. The same information will show that in 2007 the PD had an attrition rate (people leaving) of 28%, based on 18 officers, which is 2.8 out of every 10 and even worse. The PD had an attrition rate last year of double the SO. All this is shown in the reports below and easily accessible. And there is more.

SO
www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/cjap/2007/demographics/demo_so_le.html
www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/cjap/2007/statistics/attr_so_le.html
PD
www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/cjap/2007/demographics/demo_pd.html
www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/cjap/2007/statistics/attr_pd.html
 
Is comparing a budget increase for DFSPD and a budget increase for WCSO a fair comparison?

Not trying to argue it, but like a lot of people down here in SoWal, I was under the impression the DFS department was lacking in a lot of major upgrades and had horrible pay rates. If the budget increase was for that, isn't that a good thing? Conservative or liberal... I think most will agree money spent to help fire and police forces is a worth it.

The issue of whether a department needs to add more to their budget in a time when the county has less money to go around is different in my opinion.

Maybe we need Mr. Adkinson's opinion relating to his spending plans if elected sheriff. Might not be as much work to do in the WCSO.
 
Is comparing a budget increase for DFSPD and a budget increase for WCSO a fair comparison?

Not trying to argue it, but like a lot of people down here in SoWal, I was under the impression the DFS department was lacking in a lot of major upgrades and had horrible pay rates. If the budget increase was for that, isn't that a good thing? Conservative or liberal... I think most will agree money spent to help fire and police forces is a worth it.

The issue of whether a department needs to add more to their budget in a time when the county has less money to go around is different in my opinion.

Maybe we need Mr. Adkinson's opinion relating to his spending plans if elected sheriff. Might not be as much work to do in the WCSO.

Health, safety and welfare of Walton Co. citizens should be the #1 priority when considering budget cuts by WCC. Then education.

With the hefty budget that RJ HAD, he still could not upgrade the 911 system adequately...it is still not up to par for this community.

Questions: Can 911 dispatch trace to location of a cell phone call? Why don't the hand held radios the deputies use work in most locations in sowal? Did the new upgrade address these issues?

Have these questions been addressed by the commission to RJ? Do they have a clue?
 
It has to be negative

Face it. If you say anything about the record of our current sheriff, it will have to be negative. That is his history and legacy of actions and decisions that he has left us with.

If he did not have some fine people in those patrol cars, he would have already self destructed. Let's save our heros in green from this NEGATIVE leadership, by any means necessary that includes ads that state the cold, hard, negative truth.

They tried to play nicey nice and not take him on four years ago and he went back in. I admire Mike Adkinson for taking him on, man to man.

In my opinion this makes the other candidates weak. A leader speaks the truth, even when it is not convienent.

Give him heck MIKE!
 
Face it. If you say anything about the record of our current sheriff, it will have to be negative. That is his history and legacy of actions and decisions that he has left us with.

If he did not have some fine people in those patrol cars, he would have already self destructed. Let's save our heros in green from this NEGATIVE leadership, by any means necessary that includes ads that state the cold, hard, negative truth.

They tried to play nicey nice and not take him on four years ago and he went back in. I admire Mike Adkinson for taking him on, man to man.

In my opinion this makes the other candidates weak. A leader speaks the truth, even when it is not convienent.

Give him heck MIKE!

5th Gen Local,

I'm a sixth by the way. Anyhow, does a cadidate for office have to say anything at all, negative or not, about their respective opponent(s)? After all, its no different than applying for a job. Most employers would think a employee candidate is crazy if one were to start talking about the person he or she is trying to replace maybe due to retirement or whatever.

I don't think it is totally destructive to a campaign ("Negative Campaigning"), but I bet most voters here in Walton would rather a candidate not say anything at all about their respective opponent(s), and stick with why he or she (the candidate) should be hired (elected) to the job. Well?

Nevertheless, unlike many others on here, you've apparently expressed your thoughts---you prefer such Campaigning.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top