• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Nerds & Geeks: Best anti-virus software?

New posts

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
It's time to renew the anti-virus software, and I was wondering whether to continue with NOD32 by Eset or try something else. I haven't had any problems on my desktop with it, but got a nasty Trojan on the laptop. Are those possible to defend against with standard anti-virus?

Your input is appreciated.
 
Thanks guys! Free sure beats $60.
 
Doesn't matter what you get but remember...they are only as good as their last update. Keep 'em current!
 
I use open source software - it is an alternative to Microsoft Windows/office. Ubuntu Linux is FREE and virtually virus free. I never have to install virus protection.

Just wanted to let you know that there are others options out there.

G
 
Miss Critter,

Both Avast Antivirus :,
FREE antivirus software with spyware protection: avast! Home Edition

And Microsoft's Security Essentials :,
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Are both Great solutions that are free. I have been using Avast for years over even AVG and recommended it to all of my clients. Now I actually prefer Microsoft Security Essentials.

If you are using Windows Xp, Vista, or Windows 7. Then the security essentials will have a little more synergy then Avast. And create a little less painful security environment.

It does a great job of running quietly, and as long as you have a steady internet connection it does a good job of updating itself as well.
 
Last edited:
I use and like AVG (free) and I couple that with running Malwarebytes and Ad-Aware (two other free malware programs) on occasion.

Works like a charm.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top