• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

New 331 Bridge-- toll???

New posts

klauricella

Beach Lover
Is it true there will be a toll on the new 331 Bridge?? That will really stink when you have to travel on it for work:blink:. I wonder if they give some sort of discount for residents??
 
It was one of the scenarios presented to the Transportation Authority awhile back, but since the new bridge isn't even funded yet, I wouldn't purchase a Sun Pass just yet.
I think a lot of issues would have to be resolved before a toll bridge would be considered. Whether it would help or hinder the process of getting 331 completely 4-laned remains TBD.
 
It seems all new bridges of any length are toll bridges. Environmental requirements call for pilings all the way across the bay instead of a causeway like exists now. This boosts the cost into the stratosphere. I don't know if 2 new spans are needed or if the old causeway can be used or would be removed or partially removed.

Some have suggested sarcastically that the toll would cost more heading south.
 
Other states already charge different tolls for people who have the transponder and those who don't, so it shafts infrequent or non-local users. Last time I checked Illinois charges 2x the toll for cash versus their I-Pass system, (which is available for purchase to out-of-state residents).

IMO, it's rather rude to force the workforce over the bridge w/ high living costs, then charge them to drive to work!
 
Other states already charge different tolls for people who have the transponder and those who don't, so it shafts infrequent or non-local users. Last time I checked Illinois charges 2x the toll for cash versus their I-Pass system, (which is available for purchase to out-of-state residents).

IMO, it's rather rude to force the workforce over the bridge w/ high living costs, then charge them to drive to work!

It is higher for the cash payers due to staffing of the booths. It's a lot cheaper for the transponders and receivers. ;-)
 
Good argument except they kept the current (staffed and automated) prices for the transponders and just doubled it for cash. Not all the cash booths are staffed, some are the same old automated ones.
 
Then when the county really needs a pile of money, they can just call for an emergency evacuation.
:funn:
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top