• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

New Seaside Restaurant?

New posts

Sagehen

Beach Comber
I noticed Shades is no longer on the Seaside website, and have read that it may have moved and is being replaced by something else. Can anyone confirm this? Does anyone know what kind of place is taking its place, and when it will open (we are going back in May)? It was already pretty tough to get a table in Seaside without the options becoming fewer, and Shades was a pretty fun place.

Also, can anyone recomend a good, casual, family seafood place in the Seaside area that has some rustic charm to it, preferably with a view? I'm thinking of something like the dive that probably inspired the Joe's Crabshack Chain (I hate chains).

Thanks.
 
kurt said:
Shades has closed and a fancier place will open there after remodel. I think the targety date was around April 1.

http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=241
http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=2617
http://www.sowal.com/bb/showthread.php?t=3089

I don't know of any rustic, family seafood places with views except Nick's On The Bay, which is 10 minutes west of Freeport. There is also Pompano Joe's on the beach in Destin, but I have never been inside.
and in Panty Bra City Beach, there is Schooner's the last local beach club, located on the east end of Front Beach Rd near Thomas Dr.
 
Pompano Joe's food is pretty bad. The service is also lacking. Nice atmosphere for lunch though cause they open the windows and you're right on the beach.
 
You could drive into Destin and go to the Back Porch. I wasn't crazy about it, but the teenagers like it. It's also right on the beach with a playground for the kids. Or if you want a great meal go to Louisiana Lagniappe in the Sandpiper Cove community in Destin. It's on the marina. Fabulous food and fairly casual. Not really a kiddie place. My hubby and I will be there at least twice next week. :clap_1:
 
Pompano Joe's and Back Porch are owned by the same restaurant borg, and serve the same sort of indifferent seafood. I find both of Crab Trap's locations to have that same sort of meh. Generally, most of the view restaurants seem to not bother as much with the food because it seems like they know they'll get people in for the scenery, alas.

The better chow with your scenery:

3-Thirty-1/Seabar- nice enough bay view. Watch the coal barges go under the bridge
Dewey Destin's- kind of hard to find (turn north at the absolute last road before the Destin East Pass bridge and follow the signs after that) and not much to look at but good food and a fun view of the Crab Island area
D&K's- nice view from the second floor, good fried fish sandwiches, somewhat limited menu
 
Old Bay Steamer! Does anyone ever make it out there? It's to die for.
 
Smiling JOe said:
Isn't that past the Factory Stores (aka - Outlet Mall)? I never make it that far west.
I know you don't. Other people do though. :roll:
 
The Beach Club in Santa Rosa Beach is hard to beat for the views from practically any seat in the house. Also, friendly service and easy parking if you have elderly family members along. The food is rather pedestrian, but salads and sandwiches are good. Prices not bad. The only thing is that they're not always open to the public, because it is a private club, too. Would be a good idea to call ahead, either way.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top