• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

No Utilities

New posts

salidaco

Beach Lover
We recently moved back and are loving it here however....

Rented a home in Grayton for two months off of a vacation rental site.

No gas to the (cook)stove from day one and for the first 4 days.
Two weeks later, we came home and the electricity had been turned off....

A couple of weeks ago, came home and NO WATER.

With no response from the homeowner, it has been a bit frustrating.

The management company has been gracious, but they can only do so much(we pre-paid).

People are having serious financial issues, I understand that. Please, PLEASE, do not rent your home to families when you know that these issues may arise. Coming in from a day on the sand or the kids in school and not having any water??? Unacceptable and incredibly thoughtless.

I will end this with a:angry: and move on.
 
listen to Shelly. I didnt think they could turn off the power if someone was living in the unit....:idontno: I could be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay wrong on that one though...

are these things still off or were they off for just that day???
 
I hope you paid with a credit card and have already contacted the bank to get the refund process rolling.

Or are you talking long term rental? God, if they did that to me I would so make them evict me it would be awesome.
 
Last edited:
This is horrible! I am glad you posted this so we can think of all the ways you can get some help. By the way ... the management company being able to "only do so much" is UNACCEPTABLE. If you paid them (and not the owner) for your rental, they should move you immediately to another available property. Did I mention, IMMEDIATELY???

If you paid the owner directly, the management company should at the very least go to bat for you, hard.
 
Everything is on currently. When the water company came to turn the water back on, he told me that 7 of the disconnects that day were vacation rentals. He was not well received by vacationers. The management company had the utilities restored for us.

We are just counting the days and hoping nothing else goes wrong. Moving up to Point Washington on the 10th.
I did throw around the idea of making the owners life interesting. Decided that she already has problems and I don't have it in me to make her life hell. Don't need that Kharma or hatred. I just think its horrible and hope it does not happen to others.
 
Can you post the address of the property? Other renters should know not to rent that unit until the foreclosure proceedings are completed. ;-)
 
Can you post the address of the property? Other renters should know not to rent that unit until the foreclosure proceedings are completed. ;-)

I'm not sure how Kurt would feel about posting the address but there is no doubt that renters need to be vigilant ... I feel bad for anyone having to navigate VRBO or other sites right now, since there are a few "bad apples" out there. The good news is that most owners do understand that people renting from them deserve to have a good experience. Salidaco I am sorry you had such bad luck.
 
Your situation is an example of something that could do more harm than a Great White Shark to the vacation rental industry. This is really sad.
 
I'm not sure how Kurt would feel about posting the address but there is no doubt that renters need to be vigilant ... I feel bad for anyone having to navigate VRBO or other sites right now, since there are a few "bad apples" out there. The good news is that most owners do understand that people renting from them deserve to have a good experience. Salidaco I am sorry you had such bad luck.


I would follow Salidaco's fine example and handle it through the proper channels without trying to hurt anyone. Sounds like the management company did the right thing once they found out. They probably had no idea it was going to occur and are upset about it. I suppose the utility company is just doing their job and might not be able to legally contact the manager even if they suspect it's a rental.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top