• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Ok, coming in a few weeks, need help....

New posts

froggermom

Beach Crab
Hello all! I have been reading all about the shark sightings, etc. and getting just a bit nervous, not enough to stop me from coming to the beach, but I do have 5 kids under 10 years old coming with me.....

So, I am aware that we always need to be on the lookout for sharks, but do sharks ever come near the first sandbar? I realize noone can know what a shark will do, but is it generally safe between the shore and 1st sandbar???

I realize I have a better chance of getting into a fatal car crash on my way to Florida than I do by getting bitten by a shark, but it is in the back of my mind.....

Any thoughts for a mildly worried mom of 5???

Thanks!
 
Hello all! I have been reading all about the shark sightings, etc. and getting just a bit nervous, not enough to stop me from coming to the beach, but I do have 5 kids under 10 years old coming with me.....

So, I am aware that we always need to be on the lookout for sharks, but do sharks ever come near the first sandbar? I realize noone can know what a shark will do, but is it generally safe between the shore and 1st sandbar???

I realize I have a better chance of getting into a fatal car crash on my way to Florida than I do by getting bitten by a shark, but it is in the back of my mind.....

Any thoughts for a mildly worried mom of 5???

Thanks!

Sharks are everywhere in the Gulf. It is their home. If you are in the gulf, you are swimming with the sharks. However, you just have to keep an eye out. I would not be out in the early morning hours, or in the late afternoon as that is a sharks feeding time. However, I still see people doing it, but I wouldn't. And you are right, you have a better chance of having a car wreck that getting a shark bite. You just have to use common sense and always be aware of your surroundings. That is what I do anyway. Oh, and :welcome: have a great vacation.
 
Last edited:
:welcome:

Don't worry, really. Staying out of the ocean because of the sharks would be like going to Yellowstone and never getting out of the car because Grizzlies live there. You'll be fine!
 
Agreed... Think about many MILLIONS of people swim in Florida's waters every day of every year (from Pensacola to Tampa to Key West to Miami to Daytona to St. Augustine)....

How many fatal shark attacks have occurred in Florida since 1882? 13.

How many fatal shark attacks have occurred in Walton County since 1882? 1!

Just use common sense and keep a close eye on your kids. Here's more info, if you like:

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/statistics/GAttack/mapFL.htm
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top