• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Ok, so what am I doing wrong!

New posts

whitesands

Beach Lover
Has anybody tried the Sagaponack Corn Pudding recipe (Ina Garten's recipe)? I have tried twice now, and obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I made it again last night. I followed the recipe regarding measurements, etc., both times.

The first time, it overflowed into the water. Last night, the top was light and almost not quite done, but the bottom was almost over-done. Very frustrating, especially when Ina ranks this recipe as "easy" :blink: :biggrin: Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and what they're result was. Actually, both times, it tasted fairly good, but still...:blink: Any feedback would be appreciated.
 
WOW is that a lot of dairy products! :shock: Thought I'd take a look and see what I could see but it's a bit out of my depth. :lol:

The only things I can think of as a possible help are simple things I'm sure you've already thought of, such as making sure you've got an 8-10 cup baking dish and making sure your oven is actually cooking at 375 (I bought an oven thermometer for mine and it cooks about 25 degrees cooler than the temperature I set it to.).
 
Has anybody tried the Sagaponack Corn Pudding recipe (Ina Garten's recipe)? I have tried twice now, and obviously, I'm doing something wrong. I made it again last night. I followed the recipe regarding measurements, etc., both times.

The first time, it overflowed into the water. Last night, the top was light and almost not quite done, but the bottom was almost over-done. Very frustrating, especially when Ina ranks this recipe as "easy" :blink: :biggrin: Just wondering if anyone else has tried it and what they're result was. Actually, both times, it tasted fairly good, but still...:blink: Any feedback would be appreciated.

don't know, but I'm glad you are looking into this. its a recipe I printed and intend to try.. it looks so yummy! I'll look at it.
 
It IS yummy...the parts we could eat. I just can't seem to get the consistency right. I'm going to try it again, though. Just have to eat a few salads in the meantime :floor: :biggrin:
 
I should have added above, the only thing I changed was to saute the onion and corn until the corn was tender. I found that the 4 minutes she suggested wasn't long enough. The onion was ok, but the corn kernels were still "crunchy" when the pudding came out of the oven.
 
WOW is that a lot of dairy products! :shock: Thought I'd take a look and see what I could see but it's a bit out of my depth. :lol:

The only things I can think of as a possible help are simple things I'm sure you've already thought of, such as making sure you've got an 8-10 cup baking dish and making sure your oven is actually cooking at 375 (I bought an oven thermometer for mine and it cooks about 25 degrees cooler than the temperature I set it to.).

Good suggestion MindfulVeg. I've never even heard of an oven thermometer...just the ones you use in the food itself. I've come to the conclusion that my first pudding overflowed, perhaps, because I used a dark pan and didn't adjust the temperture to allow for it. Also, I may have whisked a little too much. Both my puddings were very liquid too, so don't know if that had something to do with it. I shall persist :biggrin:
 
This receipe sounds delicious! I think the variables lie in the type of cheese, and most of the fresh corn I've seen is poor quality. Perhaps try frozen corn? Also it says extra large eggs, perhaps adding another one would help. I used to make a lot of quiche, and had to improvise. Unless you prefer kosher, I think I'd just use salted butter. Also, perhaps a bit of either corn starch or flour to thicken. Even instead of half and half, you could use evaporated milk. I use that in au graten. I also always add sugar to my corn dishes, could add more than one tablespoon. Okay, I've totally changed the receipe! I would add garlic, parsley, chives, etc.
 
florida girl an extra egg sounds like a good idea. And I think you're right about the corn too. The corn I used both times was called peaches 'n cream. It did need more sauteing time. The ricotta I used was quite moist...so perhaps a drier type??? I did use salted butter. I agree about changing the herb or spice...perhaps chipotle, hot sauce or even nutmeg. I haven't seen any corn recipes that call for fresh basil. Doesn't mean there aren't any though. Thanks for your suggestions!
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top