• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
  • Hello all! We will be performing a website & forum update soon. You may get logged out so now is the time to make sure your email address in your account is correct - go to your account to check it and update it now. Send us a message with your username and/or email address if you need help.

Old timers search

New posts

Yzarctoo

Beach Fanatic
I am looking for information on the following two ladies:

Bama Love lived in Point Washington, sold vegetables, story has it that she killed off two husbands...

Lura Ward McCook...ran the old Grayton Hotel until 1928...

In any information...or even a source to search would be appreciated.

Ann Morrell Grayton Beach)
GBNA BOARD
yzarctoo@aol.com
 
Sounds very interesting! Unfortunately or fortunately I am not THAT old and don't remembering hearing about them. I bet shallowsnole can help. She's not old but she does know some oldtimers. You might want to send a private message to her.
 
I am looking for information on the following two ladies:

Bama Love lived in Point Washington, sold vegetables, story has it that she killed off two husbands...

Lura Ward McCook...ran the old Grayton Hotel until 1928...

In any information...or even a source to search would be appreciated.

Ann Morrell Grayton Beach)
GBNA BOARD
yzarctoo@aol.com

Just sent you a pm :D
 
I am looking for information on the following two ladies:

Bama Love lived in Point Washington, sold vegetables, story has it that she killed off two husbands...

Lura Ward McCook...ran the old Grayton Hotel until 1928...

In any information...or even a source to search would be appreciated.

Ann Morrell Grayton Beach)
GBNA BOARD
yzarctoo@aol.com
:welcome: would love to hear more about Bama Love!
 
I am looking for information on the following two ladies:

Bama Love lived in Point Washington, sold vegetables, story has it that she killed off two husbands...

Lura Ward McCook...ran the old Grayton Hotel until 1928...

In any information...or even a source to search would be appreciated.

Ann Morrell Grayton Beach)
GBNA BOARD
yzarctoo@aol.com

Bama Love...all I know is what my parents mentioned while I was growing up, as she was gone LONG before I was born. I don't know about the killing off two husbands, but I have heard that she preached the gospel and also served as a midwife.

If you go down the dirt portion of East Point Washington Road off off 395, at the end of the long straight stretch, the trail that goes straight (where lazy people like to dump :bang:)...that's the "old Bama Love place." When I was young, there were still kumquat trees in there.

Fate Love, for whom the creek/bayou that runs in the middle of Bayou Creek Estates (between Ivy Lane and Dick Saltsman Rd) was named, was one of the husbands. I think.

Folks who could tell you more: Lorraine Morgan or Marie Marshall (daughters of Alfred & Mary Barrett, Lorraine is the mom of Rachel at For The Health of It) or Albert Butler. If you know Grace White, she might be a good source of info too.

Hope this helps! :wave:
 
You might also want to contact E.L. "Sonny" Hollingsworth. He lives in DeFuniak and hangs out at Tresca Lake in SoWal now. His aunt and uncle were Eileen and Tuff Smith of Grayton Beach and he spent many days of his youth over 80 years ago there. Eileen Smith and Sonny's mother, Anna Reardon, were sister-in-laws. I'll try to copy some of this and email him and try to remember to ask him when I see him tomorrow.
 
If you could contact Carol McCrite, she might have information as well. She founded Grit & Grace (community theater based on local histories), and wrote a lot of articles and books on local history. I believe her husband Dick McCrite is on Facebook, maybe you could trace her through him.
 
Bama Love...all I know is what my parents mentioned while I was growing up, as she was gone LONG before I was born. I don't know about the killing off two husbands, but I have heard that she preached the gospel and also served as a midwife.

If you go down the dirt portion of East Point Washington Road off off 395, at the end of the long straight stretch, the trail that goes straight (where lazy people like to dump :bang:)...that's the "old Bama Love place." When I was young, there were still kumquat trees in there.

Fate Love, for whom the creek/bayou that runs in the middle of Bayou Creek Estates (between Ivy Lane and Dick Saltsman Rd) was named, was one of the husbands. I think.

Folks who could tell you more: Lorraine Morgan or Marie Marshall (daughters of Alfred & Mary Barrett, Lorraine is the mom of Rachel at For The Health of It) or Albert Butler. If you know Grace White, she might be a good source of info too.

Hope this helps! :wave:

I heard Bama Love attended Pt. Washington Assembly of God years ago. Earl Barrett would know, or his parents.
 
For information about Boma Love I would contact Ruby Jewel or Richard Davis since she was their grandmother, I Think. May be she was an aunt.
 
New posts


Sign Up for SoWal Newsletter












                               
Back
Top